1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Inverter blew up and car won't start (no ready) - 2007 GS450h

Discussion in 'Lexus Hybrids and EVs' started by 450hLexus, Jul 16, 2018.

1. Lwerewolf

Lwerewolf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd say that the most annoying thing about the gs450h is how little space there is to work on things. Everything is scary at first ;) Other than that:
    -Engine on the 1st gen 450h (3rd gen GS 450h) is a 2gr-fse. Lots of info on 2gr's. Same engine as in the gs350 and is350, and not too different compared to the non-direct injected model (2gr-fe). Not sure about the newer variations.
    -The HV battery is essentially a 40-module prius pack, so diy repairs are quite possible. Most other Lexus hybrids use different modules (that includes 4th gen gs, the ls600h, rx400h, rx450h, is300h?). Finding modules for an RX seems easy enough, but when I looked for LS modules, and it wasn't pretty. Still, make sure that you have a way of at least balancing the modules after you swap them, otherwise it'll be a very short-lived repair :) (I haven't had to replace any modules yet, the 8th pair seems to be going "bad" but a few cycles with the prolong system really improved things)
    -Most other major things are shared with the rest of the 3rd gen GS's, so plenty of resources.
    -Usual weak points - shock absorbers, VVT-I cold start rattle (there seems to be a permanent DIY fix), water pumps, transmission oil pressure pump. The shock absorbers are the major one. Still one of the more reliable options in the segment, to put it lightly :)
    -No heated steering wheel and double pane side windows on the 3rd gen :( (beginning to feel the pain, winter is coming(TM))

At any rate, read up all you can on the car (3rd vs 4th gen especially), ask questions, test drive before you decide. There is a LOT written about it in the UK lexusownersclub (@Britprius now resides there), and clublexus (US). There are compromises. Expect about half the MPG (or 3/4 if you get the 4th gen with the LIVC(atkinson) 2gr-fxe motor) that you get from the prius, and if you get happy with the throttle - way less (still very good for what it can do, but a point to consider). The boot is about the size of my corolla e12 hatch, and this is on a model year 2009. Headroom on the 3rd gen is compromised due to the fastback-like profile. Overall not as roomy as the size would suggest. If you get one with the active stabilizers (very rare), you lose the spare tire (apparently the system has quite an effect, though).

philmcneal likes this.
  2. philmcneal

philmcneal Taxi!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II

Great writeup! Yeah I was looking at the 3rd gen GS450h since the 4th gens are out of my price range (10k vs 30k)
    Yeah I guess if I do find a decent 3rd gen for the price (highest mileage i've seen on those is 400,000km) I guess i'll have to bite the bullet :)
    Thank you!

edit: I have read every thread on clublexus for gs450h first gen so UKclublexus here i go :D

3. Lwerewolf

Lwerewolf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    One more thing to add - water pump. Infamous on all toyota/lexus vehicles of the period. Lots of instances of engines destroyed without any warning - no indication of overheating/etc, people have checked coolant levels 15min before. Apparently redesigned late into the life of the GS. I'll be changing mine soon (month or two) as preventative maintenance, in the meantime watching the pump for any signs of leaks... good thing that I have a corolla on standby :D

About the HV battery - $4000 without core charge from what I'm seeing. Otherwise, 40-module pack instead of 28 in the case of the prius. Standard advice here - do a discharge test at the location if you can (techstream, force charge to full, turn on AC & defroster & so on and put in neutral, wait until the car screams at you to put it in something else due to low state of charge, record battery blocks readings - if you see any sudden drops or blocks that are significantly lower in voltage at the end - you know what's up. The ones in the middle will be worse off as usual), consider a car with a failed battery too. Problem with the second approach is that you can't really test drive it to figure out if anything else is amiss.

Also consider the fact that the 4th gens will most likely still be in warranty. They also have an atkinson cycle engine like the prius (3rd-gen is otto), which leads to very significant fuel savings. Not sure if the "go" is compromised (some people say yes, some no), but it's still plenty fast for what it is... :)

As far as fuel goes - no indication that 98 (eu) is required, 95 does it.