1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Inverter collant pump fails at 70,000 miles,

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by subarutoo, Oct 17, 2008.

1. melburstein

melburstein Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    WOW! Except for the fact that my Prius is an 04 and has 60,000 miles, the posting by subarutoo could have been mine. I too was just bragging to my friends about my TOTALLY trouble free Prius: the best car that I have ever owned. And I too was going 70+ in the HOV lane when I heard the ding and got the exact lights described in the above quote. I too drove directly to the dealer where my inverter collant pump was replaced under the Platinum Extended Warranty that I am now happy to have purchased. The moral of my story: don't brag about your Prius and then drive 70+ MPH in the HOV lane (lol).

2. huey286

huey286 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I hope someone answers you, cause I have one getting weak or going out too on an '04 with 83K mi. Would like to know how much and where it is, and replacement proceedures. Has replacement pump been improved? Must get from Toyota?

3. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    $350-$400 dealer cost
    See Patrick's DIY link above
    Yes, there is a TSB on this subject
    They are your easiest source, but some have bought 3rd party pumps (I didn't).

JeffD

4. gbbari

gbbari Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    My '05 (77K Miles) inverter cooling pump failed Wednesday on the way home. Fortunately I was able to drive it, albeit slowly, without any A/C, and with intermittent & scary surging, to the dealer who quickly diagnosed the failure. Said it would have cost me $700 to replace had I not bought the extended warranty. That requires a $50 deductible. No problem. But…we have problem. The pump is backordered at the national parts center so, I have to wait at least a week. Oh well, I have asked them to replace the radio antenna assembly again since the AM reception has deteriorated into mostly hash & static for the second time. And I have asked them to replace the coolant heat storage water pump, which has gotten so bad it sounds like a wounded animal when I shut off the engine. Toyota high quality -NOT!