1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Inverter /converter or transaxle failure?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by KiterM, Apr 11, 2018.

1. KiterM

KiterM New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    On my 2005 Prius with 155,000 miles I got the red triangle of death and the car shut down. I had it town to my house checked for codes and got P0aa6. then read here about disconnecting the 12V battery to reset the ECU and it started and ran for about 5 minutes until the red triangle of death came up again and the engine stopped. From what I have read here I understand that this code means it could be either the Inverter/Converter or the Transaxle assembly. Does anyone knows how to determine which of the two is the problem?

It seems like changing the Inverter/converter for a used unit is a doable job for a DIY but a transaxle change is way more involved and probably not suitable for a DIY.

So I'm trying to pinpoint the problem to take the appropriate action. (taking it to the dealer for further diagnostic is not an option since it will probably be expensive just for the diagnostic)

If anyone here knows how to pinpoint the problem it would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    is the inverter coolant pump working?
    how is the 12v health?
    what are you reading the codes with?

3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    High volt ground fault. Usually from damaged battery module in the hybrid battery leaking electrolyte and conducting to ground. Car can measure that current flow and throws a high volt ground fault nag.
    You can reset it by unplugging the 12 volt and sometimes go for quite a while before it logs again.
    Sometimes if you continue to drive it may catch on fire.

But think about how it’s been acting. Low power poor mileage strange hybrid battery behavior it will show 4 blue bars then all of a sudden go to no bars or one purple and then maybe back to 3 blue bars.
    Or your in a drive through fast good and the battery tanks real fast to one purple bar.
    If I’m close it’s new battery time.

Hundreds of posts about battery replacement and repair, read on.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  5. KiterM

KiterM New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks everyone for the advice. I checked the Lucios Garage website. Amazing place for getting Prius Transaxles fixed, however a bit far away from me to take my Prius there. However Lucios Garage website had very good information on diagnosis and from what I could get out of it seems like mine might not be the transaxle so I will give it a try to replace the inverter/converter and try to document it here.

6. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ... or the HV battery.
    The INF codes will tell you. If you are using Techstream, access the freeze frame data (click on the snowflake icon next to the DTC. You are looking for fields the say Information Code x or Detail Code x (where x = 1-5).

Techstream Snow Flake Icon.png Techstream INF codes.png

#6 dolj, Apr 12, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
    valde3 and Raytheeagle like this.
  7. KiterM

KiterM New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here is the update.

I ordered a used inverter converter and a new pump from ebay, I got it and proceeded to change them. The procedure took me about 4 hours, however when everything was back together the car started but soon enough I got all the lights back on and the red triangle of death and the car stopped. So at this point I am guessing is the transaxle. Unfortunately if it is the transaxle, the only place that will replace it here on Maui, is the dealer which will charge more than the car is worth. (wish there was a Lucious garage around here) And I don't have the appropriate tools or facility to drop the motor and replace it myself, so probably I will have to scrap the car. I am waiting for a cable so I can do some more testing using Techstream. I doubt is the battery but would be great if it is.. Since replacing the battery or cells, is a more feasible job than the transaxle job.

8. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    P0AA6 is usually the HV battery as trans failures of the winding have been pretty rare. Car would have seen lots of mountain use
    and poor fluid maintenance. Most likely it is the battery as i stated in post #4. Very very rare to have an iso fault in the Inverter as you have discovered.

I would have spent an hour taking the battery cover off and seeing how corroded it is in the battery box before attempting and spending $$ on anything else. At this point your just shot gunning which is foolish and expensive.

9. KiterM

KiterM New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the advice Edthefox5.. I will do a visual inspect of the battery and take it from there.

edthefox5 likes this.
  10. MGpwr

MGpwr Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Business Edition
    Just wondering, did you have any sub codes for your P0AA6? How's the battery look? Where abouts on the islands are you?

11. KiterM

KiterM New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey MGpwr . I am on the island of Maui.
    I did a scan with Techstream and got P0AA6 Code with 526 and 613 Information Codes. The hybrid battery test with techstream seems fine and the original battery was changed at 100,000 miles, so this one has only 60,000 miles.. I have not done a visual inspection of the hybrid battery yet, but I'm suspecting more and more is the transaxle. I read in a couple different sites that P0AA6 Code with 526 and 213 info codes point to the transaxle. Has anyone heard of any DIYer doing the transaxle replacement themselves?

I'm able to clear the codes with techstream and then the car turns on but the Red Triangle of death comes back on after a few minutes. I drove the car a few hundred feet in an out of my driveway and works until I press Park. Then the motor turns off and I can't put it back on Drive or Reverse until I clear the codes again.

Next weekend I will take the HV battery off and do a visual inspect of the cells and use my multimeter to test the voltage of each of the cell modules.

Thanks all of you for any info or tips.

12. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    P0AA6-613.png
    You are correct to suspect the transaxle, as INF code 613 points to that area as detailed in the Prius Repair Manual.
    P0AA6 INF code schematic.png
    The full 18 page work-up for DTC P0AA6 is attached.
    There have been a few posts from people who are not professional mechanics who tackled this job. Not sure what level of competence you would need, but search this site for posts. Use the advanced search feature (click into the search box above and then click the "More..." button on the popup) and limit the search to the Gen 2 forums and their child forums.

Attached Files:

#12 dolj, Apr 30, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
    MGpwr and Raytheeagle like this.
  13. MGpwr

MGpwr Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Business Edition
    Hey Kiter,

That's good news about the battery, hopefully you won't have to worry bout it for a good while.

My '06 daily driver had a t/a with the same codes when I got it, if you're already somewhat familiar with working on cars it's not too bad a job, the main difference with the prius for me was the extra weight of the transaxle, it's pretty hard to wrestle it around, the thing must weigh close to 300 lbs.

You can either leave the engine in the car and separate the t/a from it (with difficulty) or lower engine and t/a assembly and then separate the two at your leisure (<evil grin/>) - I'm pretty certain having the engine out of the car would make it much easier to change transmissions, but ultimately decided not to have to unhook everything that attaches to the engine, and avoid doing a drain/refill on the ICE coolant system.

It kinda reminds me of changinging an engine in a VW, except there's a few high torque nuts and bolts to deal with, and a subframe assembly, plus it required a few more jacks to be involved and an engine lift (probably could have used a decent transmission jack instead).

#13 MGpwr, Apr 30, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  14. KiterM

KiterM New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you Dojl for all this info. I did a search like you suggested and didn't find anything on Gen 2 but seems like Gen 1 transaxle is very similar. User "3prongpaul" has lots of insight with good pictures on how he does it and he says is possible to removed the transaxle by itself with the engine left in the car, which reduces the complexity.

Now I will try to find a used transaxle here in Maui from the salvage yards since shipping one from the mainland might be difficult. but I will check all my options and decide if is worth it to tackle the job myself.

If I do I will make a video on it.

Thanks again.

dolj and Raytheeagle like this.
  15. KiterM

KiterM New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey Mgpower. I don't have much experience working on cars besides basic things like changing the oil and oil filter, tires and brakes. However I changed my inverter/converter no problem but took me like 6 hours since I was not used to it, but I think now I can do it in a couple hours.
    That said, the transaxle job scares me a bit because of the weight of the transaxle and because taking the motor out seems like such an elaborate job.

I believe the tools that I'm missing is a transmission jack and to make a contraption like "3prongpaul" did to use as an engine lift.
    And a couple Toyota Engine hooks to lift the engine in a balanced way.
    [​IMG]

"3prongpaul" says it easier to take the transaxle out by itself instead of the entire mother and like you said you don't have to unhook everything that attaches to the engine and drain-refill the coolant.
    But in your opinion is it very difficult to detach the transaxle from the motor? Once you remove the bolts how do you separate it.
    I will have the motor hanging as in the picture above and have the transmission Jack underneath the tranxaxle supporting it.

I would appreciate the advice.

Thanks

16. MGpwr

MGpwr Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Business Edition
    It's a major undertaking , for sure, probably be 1000 or 1200 to have it done around here by a non-dealership, which provided me enough incentive to do it myself (I've done majority of all work on my vehicles since a teenager); that, and the fact I'm an old fart on a very limited income.

That lift is pretty cool; alternatively, you can rely on supporting the engine from below with a bottle jack and some blocking in a way that you can still get to any bolts that you need to get from underneath, which is what I did - but using a rig like that lift frees up alot of space under the car, I dont' know if there's space above the engine compartment to do that on the Gen2 .

I almost bought a transmission jack, but I already have 2 floor jacks, 2 scissor jacks, several bottle jacks, and a 450 lb. rated roll-around engine hoist, which is what I used to hold the t/a with while removing and replacing.

I think the transaxle / engine assembly is easier to work on when your not laying on your back; there's one of the 8 engine/tranny-mating bolts that is kind of hard to get a good angle on while still in the car, had to use a special 12mm box-end wrench to loosen it. Then it's a matter of finding somewhere to pry at to get that first bit of separation between engine and t/a.

Later edit: once you have all 8 mating bolts off, start at where the blanking plate for the starter was, go around the whole assy., prying it just a bit apart as you work your way around the circumference, once you have a 1/4 inch gap all the way around it should start get easier to progress.

I hope maybe someone else will step in with a better explanation, or some helpful tips.

I'm pretty impressed that you changed out the inverter with no issues, I was quite intimidated when I read I'd have to remove the windshield wipers first 8^) - that being said, I wouldn't wish the job on anybody (T/A swap, that is), especially not as a first major (to me, anyway) project, but if you do end up doing it, be careful and make sure the vehicle is very well supported; and, remember that it is possible that too vigorous shaking, pushing, pulling, etc., while under the vehicle could be the last thing you ever do.

Additional edit: One thing to look out for is the 2 locating-dowels that help align the ICE and t/a when assembling; on the first t/a I pulled the dowels stayed in the engine block, and on the second one the dowels stayed with the t/a, it's hard to remove them with out scarring them up, but they clean up easy enough with a file or some fine sand paper

Got any pictures yet?

#16 MGpwr, May 1, 2018
    Last edited: May 1, 2018
  17. zsolar

zsolar New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good advice from MGpwr. If you want more info on how to do this, my post here has a link to what I found to be the most useful guide for this along with a few tips I added.

18. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    upload_2018-5-1_12-5-39.png

Not sure about this: it's putting a lot of load on the fenders, maybe ok but who knows. Also, is this to lift or drop the engine? Seems like not much lift as shown, would need to build it up even higher. And then? Heave ho over the front??

Spend the $250~300 and get the right contraption:

upload_2018-5-1_12-10-26.png

19. MGpwr

MGpwr Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Business Edition
    I believe it's fabricated in a way so that it's transferring it's load to frame members; I think its purpose is to support the engine while the tranny is removed from beneath the vehicle.

#19 MGpwr, May 1, 2018
    Last edited: May 1, 2018
    Raytheeagle and Mendel Leisk like this.
  20. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Ok, that makes sense. I'd still prefer one of those hoists though: engineered, safer, more convenient, and down the road you might really need it, for an engine lift.

edthefox5 likes this.