1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Inverter Converter replacement: new or used?

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by PriusC_Kevin_NC, Jun 18, 2022.

1. PriusC_Kevin_NC

PriusC_Kevin_NC New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Help! My 2012 Prius C showed a "check hybrid system" message after getting an oil change recently. I had it towed to a mechanic and he said that according to code "P0894" the inverter converter needs to be replaced and quoted me just over $3200 for parts and labor. I'm hoping y'all can help me to answer a couple questions:

Is this fairly common at 200k miles? Or is there a chance I'm being swindled?

If the part really needs replacing is it the kind of thing that needs to be new? Or could I purchase something refurbished and/or used?

And finally here's some context: vehicle was purchased new and has never had any major issues. I've been careful to keep up on the maintenance and have even recently had it checked out by a trusted mechanic before taking it on a long roadtrip across the US (it got an excellent "bill of health"). Current milage is just below 200k and it's been driving fine for most of a year after that roadmap.

Any advice would be super appreciated, thanks!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    common enough, but i would want to see the codes. used is fine and cheap too. can't the trusted mechanic look at it?

3. Sonic_TH

Sonic_TH Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    So it's common? i might have to sell my Prius C then

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    across all prius, we see inverters being replaced. can't tell you how common, but it's no reason to sell it

5. Sonic_TH

Sonic_TH Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Have you replaced the inverter coolant pump?