1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Inverter Coolant Change with Lisle Funnel

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by rogerthat, Dec 21, 2021.

1. rogerthat

rogerthat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thought I would write about my experience as this method went really smoothly.

With the car jacked up level, I removed the inverter reservoir cap and then removed the inverter coolant drain plug. After all coolant had drained, I opened the bleed port and it allowed some additional coolant to exit (I closed the port afterwards). I then reinstalled the drain plug with new washer and torqued to 29ft/lbs.

The Lisle extension fit snugly into the neck of the reservoir and allowed me to position the funnel as shown in the attached photo. I also attached some 1/4" inner diameter tubing and routed it to the funnel. I measure the amount of drained fluid to be 2150ml and I added this exact amount to the Lisle funnel. The first 1500mL went right down. After opening the bleed port, I could hear some air escape and eventually notice fluid entering the tube and the level of fluid in the funnel/reservoir drop. I then put the car into IG-on mode and noticed a little more burping and after a short amount of time (about 3 minutes) the stream from the tubing had a nice smooth flow. In addition the reservoir level had gone down to near the high level mark. I closed the bleed port and removed the tubing.

After turning off the car I then removed the funnel - a small amount of fluid spilled out and the level was actually just over the high mark so I syringed out a tiny amount (probably not needed). I then put the car into IG-on mode again and made sure I observed turbulence in the reservoir. The inverter coolant pump had a nice smooth hum so I think it was a successful procedure!

Attached Files:

Rebound and nancytheprius like this.
  2. nancytheprius

nancytheprius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    nice work! check the level again after you put a couple hundred miles, because it might go down by a small amount

rogerthat likes this.