1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Inverter Coolant Change

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by bonanzoo, Dec 30, 2018.

1. bonanzoo

bonanzoo Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    The schedule states 150k for the inverter coolant change and the engine coolant at 100k. I did the engine coolant at 100k and now I’m at 110k. Should I just do the inverter coolant now? My gen 3 Prius required both coolant systems changed at 100k. What is so different about the Prius C to wait another 50k miles for the inverter?

Thanks

2. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I don’t think there is a difference between the models: the Warranty & Maintenance Guide books for the 2010 (PDF) and 2015 (PDF) Prius, for example, have the same footnote as the book for the 2012 Prius c (PDF): “Initial inverter coolant replacement at 150,000 miles/180 months. Replace every 50,000 miles/60 months thereafter.”

I can only speculate about why Toyota believes their Super Long Life Coolant lasts longer in the inverter cooling system; possible factors are that the inverter coolant doesn’t get as hot—“Controlled at 65°C (149°F) or less” for the inverter coolant, versus “75 to 100°C (167 to 212°F): After warming up” for the engine coolant, according to the Repair Manual—and has less surface area in contact with other parts.

bonanzoo and Mendel Leisk like this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Toyota Canada issues a single maintenance schedule booklet for all their vehicles, and says to change both engine and inverter at 160K kms or 10 years, whichever comes first. I suspect they just missed the footnotes in the US schedule??

And then, if I look at the side wall of my inverter coolant reservoir, there's a sticker saying to not change till 150,000 miles, lol.

bigrin and bonanzoo like this.