1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Inverter Coolant Fluid Level - Concern or just top off?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by aaronlife, Aug 29, 2010.

1. aaronlife

aaronlife Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hey all,

Changing my oil today, been awhile since I had the hood open for an inspection... a year maybe... about 5-6K miles.

It's been about 2 years since the prior owner had it in for a service, I recall they had it in right before we purchased it in August 2008.

I live in Miami Beach...where it's HOT.

Anyway, I noticed the inverter coolant level is no longer at full. It's hard to see where it's at, actually.

It's not below low, and it seems to be at least up to the bottom of the double seam that wraps around the tank, but I can't see where it levels off behind the seam.

Should I be concerned enough to take it in to the dealer and pay them to hunt around until they find a small leak, or is it normal to lose a small amount of coolant over the course of a couple years...

Should I just buy their high priced Toyota Super Long Life Coolant and top off the extra 1/8-1/4" or so until it's at FULL?

And then watch it regularly to see if I lose coolant. I do recall it being at or near full the last time I paid attention to it, but like I said, that could have been a year ago.

I'm used to old Saabs and Oldsmobiles, working on this car is new to me...

Thanks,
    Aaron

2. vertex

vertex Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Aaron:
    If it is not at the low point, you don't need to add. You can top it off if it will make you feel better, and make it easier to see how fast the level drops. I would keep a close on it to see if the level holds.
    Also, I have posted about this before, and many here don't agree with me, but Prestone long life coolant is just as good as the Toyota stuff. The ingredients are bascially the same.

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Aaron,

I would recommend that you spend $22 to buy a gallon of Toyota SLLC and use that to top off the inverter coolant and engine coolant reservoirs (rather than mix with Brand X.) Then keep an eye on both to see if there are any changes after a month or two. If not then don't worry about a leak.

4. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I topped mine off after a couple of years. It is hot here too. If it doesn't change for a while after you top off, I wouldn't worry about it.

5. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I also want to buy some coolant for topping off. Is that "Toyota SLLC" the same pink stuff in the engine coolant and the inverter coolant loops, or are they different?

Also do you know if the dealers sell it by the quart or only by the gallon?

6. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    The same coolant is in both loops - Toyota Super Long Life Coolant
    By the gallon with a high markup.

JeffD

7. aaronlife

aaronlife Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    thanks all for the feedback! will follow as advised and keep an eye on it :)