1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Inverter coolant level, I think///

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by cyberpriusII, Mar 28, 2013.

1. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So, the sideways coolant tank in the engine compartment, not the one next to the grill, but the one that is sort of between the air filter box and that shiny metal square (honestly, is that the inverter, I have no idea)...

I have always thought that tank was slightly low, but it has a seam just about where the full line is, so I was never sure....finally about three weeks ago, I worked up my courage and put a few ounces of coolant in that tank. THEN it was up to the full line.

So, a few weeks after adding the coolant, I had the water pump recall done. Now the coolant level is back down to where it was before I added....so I am assuming that the correct level is just below that seam that seals the top of the plastic tank to the bottom part of the tank.

Should I bring it up just past the seam again?

Am, I getting too hung up on this...

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    OK to add Toyota SLLC to bring the fluid level to the seam. Yes, the inverter coolant reservoir is mounted to the side of the inverter.

While you are at it, check the engine coolant reservoir and fill to the MAX line when the engine is cold and turned off. If you should find that the reservoir is significantly low, then it would also be a good idea to remove the radiator cap and check the fluid level in the radiator itself, which should be full.

It will be necessary to remove the black plastic cover over the radiator for access to the radiator cap.

3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Apparently the I tank is not fussy about maybe too much coolant in it. When they did my recall on the pump they filled it right to the brim. It was like that for a few days till the weekend came and I saw it. No problem.

Its a good idea to get a black markie and highlight all the plastic reservoir fill lines. Makes it much easy. Not my idea got it here at PC and we thank you for that.

4. ahmeow

ahmeow Prius Lover

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes I also marked all those lines after getting the smart idea from our membe yearsago. All should do that to make the checking easier. No guessing.

5. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The marker is a good idea. I did manage to get the cap off the "radiator" tank without taking off the top piece Patrick mentioned. It was a bit of twisting and turning, but it came away. Thanks all.

6. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Kris, were you able to remove the metal radiator cap to inspect the fluid level within the radiator (not the plastic overflow tank)?

7. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Metal?

There's a metal cap? Opps. Guess I did NOT get the right cap off. I better go look again...
    k/

8. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The edge of the metal radiator cap can be seen immediately below the large black plastic cover over the radiator. If you position yourself so that you can see the plastic radiator overflow tank level, then look a few inches up, you can see the shiny metal radiator cap.

The reason I call this to your attention is because, if the plastic radiator overflow tank level was substantially low, it is not safe to assume that the fluid level within the radiator itself is full.