1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Inverter Coolant Pump Gen2 into Gen1

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by nimblemotors, Jun 25, 2018.

1. nimblemotors

nimblemotors Re Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    I need to replace the coolant pump on my daughters 2002 Prius, and holy moly, they want $180 for this pump!?? The gen2 pump is less than half this cost, so I'd like to use this one instead. I can adjust the mounting no problem, my question are the electric connectors the same?

I found some threads on this, but no one seems to have actually tried this pump. I think an aquarium pump for $20 would probably work just fine, but the gen2 looks like a good option.

2. vaughnstark777

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I have a gen2 pump that I purchased off of ebay with the same idea in mind. I'm not sure where it is right now otherwise I would take a look at the electrical connection and let you know. If you try it let us know how it works.

3. nimblemotors

nimblemotors Re Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    I found on amazon that they are only ~$130, so just went with that.
    From looking at pics I've seen it seems the connector is different on gen2, but not certain. For future reference it would be great if someone could do the gen2 pump setup, as it is still half the price.

Brian in Tucson likes this.
  4. Robert in Sahuarita

Robert in Sahuarita New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I just did this on my gen1. No, the connectors are not the same unfortunately. I ended up cutting the plastic around the connector on the gen2 pump so i could solder some leads onto the connector pins. I then cut off my connector on my gen1 and used a butt splice to connect the wires after making sure polarity was correct. I put silicone and heat shrink around where i soldered the connectors.
    For mounting it, i trimmed the mounting plate for both pumps and then welded a short piece of angle iron to each one. The gen2 pump mounts a little awkward but it fit. Next time i would offset it a little further than i did. 20180726_185848.jpg

Attached Files:

SFO and bisco like this.
  5. Brian in Tucson

Brian in Tucson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't like to cut and splice wires or jerry rig repairs. So I bought this:
    My time and my cars reliability are worth something, so the extra $60 or so seemed well worth it to me. And Prime can get you the part in two days or so. Do it once, do it right & get on with it. I don't see the link, it's the stock pump and is sold by AmAzon.

My only regret is that I didn't do the replacement prior to my big trip to the NW last summer. My car set the code and even wouldn't start for a short while in the heat of Klamath Falls, OR.

6. Brian in Tucson

Brian in Tucson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good, you'll be happy you did.