1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Inverter Coolant Pump question (not working)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Katsu Curry, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Katsu Curry

Katsu Curry Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Is there an electrical reset or something needed for the inverter coolant pump if I've disconnected the 12V battery for a while? I've got a 2004 Prius.

I don't see any of the "waves" in the coolant reservoir when the engine is on and I've been plagued with suddenly on multiple warning lights (Big Red Triangle, VSC and small brake symbol). If I let it sit overnight *sometimes* the VSC and small brake symbol don't light when driving but the triangle stays on. Resetting the emergency warning lights via disconnecting the negative lead from the 12V battery will turn off the lights. After the "battery reset," the lights often stay off for a day or even two but always return.

Why wasn't I taking this more seriously before?

a) This began happening after a day when I removed and replaced both tail light assemblies, removed and put back the one week old Yellow Top battery (dropped a screw under it - aaaarrrrggg) and took out the MFD to implement Hobbit's fix.
    b) I had the pump replaced at the dealer's about a month before that (due to the recall).
    c) I didn't find the info connecting the multiple warning lights with the inverter pump until last night.

I've driven the car for at least 2 weeks now almost daily without any obvious negative impact, although my wife literally just told me as I was typing the above that she thought she smelled something burning in the car driving it home tonight. The delay in the warning lights coming on would make sense now if nothing triggered until there was overheating. It's been a pretty cold winter for Vancouver, so that might have helped.

I had written the warning lights off to something screwed up in the electrical system due to my work that day. But now I'm pretty sure it isn't lying to me. ;)

So, since the pump is supposedly new from the dealer and I had no warning lights before my day of work, is there something I need to do electrically to reset the pump? And if not, what are my next steps?

Thanks everyone!

2. vertex

vertex Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The pump should run without you doing anything. If the pump is not running, it should be covered by your warranty, since the dealer just changed it. Also, it is best to check the codes when the lights come on to confirm the issue. It could be something else.

3. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I think that your inverter cooling loop is airlocked and needs to be bled. An air bubble will prevent the coolant from flowing through the loop and cause the inverter to set an error code. If the IC pump is not working, then your 12V battery is not being charged, and that leads to all kinds of warning light chaos. Even if the pump itself is bad, it has a 12 month warranty from Toyota. Take it back to the dealer, point out that there is no turbulence in the reservoir, and tell them that they messed up.