1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Inverter Coolant Pump Speed Signal

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Aftab Ak, May 22, 2018.

1. Aftab Ak

Aftab Ak Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi everyone, well i am new to this forum
    I recently got Prius 2011 model, it worked fine for two days, then suddenly all the lights came on the dashboard and the car stopped after every 2 minutes or so. After all very difficultly i reach to the mechanic he connected the scanner and get cleared some codes, but the code P314a (Inverter Coolant Pump Speed Signal) didnt go out of the system. The mechanic said to change the water body of the car, now i am not sure what to do , i really need the water body change?? As i am facing trouble driving the car all of a sudden light appeares on the dashboard specially when the AC is on, need suggestions please

Attached Files:

2. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Welcome to Prius Chat (y).

If you have the inverter pump code, what you are showing is the engine coolant pump(n).

Not sure about the mechanics in your neck of the woods, but I would seek a second opinion if this is the advice the first mechanic gave;).

Good luck and keep us posted (y).

Aftab Ak likes this.
  3. Aftab Ak

Aftab Ak Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

4. Aftab Ak

Aftab Ak Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks dude
    The mechanic said you have to change the engine coolant pump as I get engine check light and a warning light on the dashboard and the car is not starting on the battery, it's engine starts directly when you push the start button, furthermore he said that your car is getting overheated
    Inverter pump and engine coolant pump are both different things I guess, but he tells me to change the ECP , so what's up now don't understand kindly suggest

5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Your post makes no sense.

Why not let the mechanic fix your car? He’s telling you what’s wrong and you are incapable of understanding it so let him repair it.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  6. Aftab Ak

Aftab Ak Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

7. Aftab Ak

Aftab Ak Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It makes sense but I think you are unable to understand it bro, the meachnics here is of different kind he quoted me dollars 300, I will order the part for it online it will be delivered in 3 days time, so wanted to have some suggestions through this forum that I am going in the right direction

8. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Your clicking reply and quoting me but not adding your response.

9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I would add one thing, because I can tell there is some confusion, but from the posts here I am not sure who is confused. It would be worth making sure the mechanic understands that the inverter pump speed signal does not refer to the engine pump, and that an overheat warning and car shutdown can result from an overheated inverter.

In other words, does the mechanic actually think the engine pump needs to be replaced? If so, I'm not saying there can't be a good explanation, but it hasn't appeared here yet.

-Chap

Aftab Ak likes this.
  10. Aftab Ak

Aftab Ak Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    thanks for the reply, yes the mechanic is damn sure that the engine pump has the problem, i have ordered the engine pump and it will be delivered by tomorrow and replaced. Lets see what happens.
    Other thing my car check light and yellow color warning light is on, it directly starts the engine fan as i push the start button, display button changes but shows no arrows movement, ECO, PWR, EV mode not working, i cant start the AC as it might get overheated and can cause some other damage. I drive the car too slowly in almost 30 to 40 km/hr, as i accelerate the battery light and a light with exclamation mark suddenly appears on the dashboard and the car stops.

#10 Aftab Ak, May 23, 2018
    Last edited: May 23, 2018
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if you want to quote someone and reply in the same post, click 'reply', then type your message and click 'post reply'.

Aftab Ak likes this.
  12. Aftab Ak

Aftab Ak Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    thanks for the reply, yes the mechanic is damn sure that the engine pump has the problem, i have ordered the engine pump and it will be delivered by tomorrow and replaced. Lets see what happens.
    Other thing my car check light and yellow color warning light is on, it directly starts the engine fan as i push the start button, display button changes but shows no arrows movement, ECO, PWR, EV mode not working, i cant start the AC as it might get overheated and can cause some other damage. I drive the car too slowly in almost 30 to 40 km/hr, as i accelerate the battery light and a light with exclamation mark suddenly appears on the dashboard and the car stops.

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    with the car 'ready', open the inverter coolant reservoir cap and look for movement in the fluid.

Aftab Ak and Raytheeagle like this.
  14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    have you checked the engine coolant level in the radiator?

Aftab Ak likes this.
  15. Aftab Ak

Aftab Ak Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    well no i didnt check it yet

16. Aftab Ak

Aftab Ak Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well no movement in the fluid i just checked

17. Aftab Ak

Aftab Ak Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Coolant level is okay i guess

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if there is no movement with the car in ready, you need an inverter pump.

Aftab Ak and NutzAboutBolts like this.
  19. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hmm, the focus of my question wasn't so much whether the mechanic was "damn sure" of that, but rather why the mechanic was so sure, given a code that points to the inverter pump, and your observation of the non-moving inverter coolant, which also points to the inverter pump, not the engine pump. (Granted, you may not have checked the coolant motion yourself until after the mechanic's opinion, but it wouldn't have killed the mechanic to do the same ten second check.)

It has never been impossible, and in these times has become all the rage, for people to be "damn sure" of stuff that straight up ain't so. That's why "please, could you explain your conclusion and show the steps" is not just some annoying thing for teachers to say.

-Chap

Aftab Ak likes this.
  20. Aftab Ak

Aftab Ak Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    thanks for such great explanation, well it's my first experience with Prius so a bit confused but now things are getting clear, it's the issue with inverter pump and not the engine pump, I think the mechanic isn't that much adept in his field and taking it wrongly, well let's see tomorrow what happens, thanks for the suggestion cheers

Raytheeagle and bisco like this.