1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Inverter Coolant Pump takes a dive

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by dbarry, Aug 17, 2007.

1. dbarry

dbarry Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    FWIW, on one of our 2005 Prius's - it died last night going down the freeway - The dealer called back and said the Inverter Coolant Pump failed.

Good news is it's covered under the drivetrain warranty (car has 40K on it).

Bad news the pump is on backorder from Toyota.

Even worse news is, according to the dealer, mine is about the 10th pump they've had to replace THIS MONTH.
    Sounds like we have a weak link in the system.

Don

Leshay likes this.
  2. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  3. kohnen

kohnen Grumpy, Cranky Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ScottY @ Aug 17 2007, 04:54 PM) [snapback]498045[/snapback]</div>
    You need to register for that board to see the TSB.

Could you post it here, pretty please? :rolleyes:

4. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If that's really the facts of the matter, I think it might be the
    first report of a failed inverter pump. Please get all the info you
    can, including why it might have failed ... and if there's any issue
    with the inverter itself, or if it thermally protected itself the
    way it should!
    _H*

5. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    DH has replaced a few of them now. there is that TSB out on it.

6. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kohnen @ Aug 18 2007, 11:15 AM) [snapback]498326[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry, I didn't register either. Google lead me there.

7. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    There have been at least 3 inverter coolant pump failures in NHW11 Prius. Don't think anyone has proposed them for the 'precautionary replacement' list yet, cf. the engine's mechanical coolant pump.

8. dbarry

dbarry Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    On a whim a went to another toyota dealership's part desk and asked for the pump - they said it was on a THREE MONTH backorder.

Since Toyota has given me a free loner car, I hope that will motivate them to get my part in faster.

But I'll say again: something's up with this part!

Don

9. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbarry @ Aug 19 2007, 03:15 PM) [snapback]498728[/snapback]</div>

Hard to belive Toyota stopped making Prius's for three months. It would be fun to collect the most unbelivable dealer claims.

10. Mossman

Mossman New Member

Just found out today that I got the same problem with my 05 Prius. Dealership says it would cost almost $400 to replace it. I just paid the $95 diagnostic fee today. It is only covered by warranty if the car is below 60k miles. I see where the pump is located and it looks like it is not that difficult to replace. I'm just wondering where I can purchase a replacement pump, other than the dealership. I can't even find anything on eBay. Anyone have any ideas where I can get a replacement coolant pump? Any assistance provided would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

11. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    In addition to my comments on your other thread, any chance this is covered by the TSB?

12. FishHawk

FishHawk New Member

How do you know when your pump fails, what are the symptoms? FishHawk

13. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Mainly the sound when you start up and shut down (I think shut down is the easiest to listen for since it usually delays a few seconds and you hear it as you get out of the car).
    I think I remember someone saying they got an CEL when they had a complete failure.
    Mine still makes some pretty obnoxious noise at times, but it's done it every winter and doesn't seem to be getting any worse after 70k miles.

14. FishHawk

FishHawk New Member

My pump makes the noise every now and then but I still get heat. So, how does one know when it fails? Is the noise rather loud and you get no heat? FishHawk

15. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Again, it'll stop making any sound or the sound will be dramatically abnormal just prior to failure.
    You won't notice anything in the way of whether the cabin gets heat or not...the coolant is pumped to the cold engine and only warms it a few degrees. You may get a little more heat a little sooner, but nothing noticable or measurable.

16. statultra

statultra uber-Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    my inverter coolant pump on my 01 prius went out last week, i got bought a used pump for 58 dollars and now im up and running.
    oh yeah if you want to know if its not working, you wont hear any noise at all when Ig-ON, if you put your hand on the inverter coolant pump ( when its cold of course ) you should feel a slight vibration, that would kinda indicate its working.

17. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Evan, I think you are mistaken for the engine coolant pump, the one that pumps the hot engine coolant into the thermos. Inverter coolant pump is the one that pumps coolant into/out from the inverters.

You can tell it's working when you open the inverter coolant reservoir (pink one) in READY mode, you can see the coolant is flowing. Only do this when the car is cold!

18. Mossman

Mossman New Member

For my car, it started out as all of the warning lights coming on like a christmas tree. It then only failed to the triangle with the exclamation mark and something else (I forgot). I borrowed an OBD2 reader and it came up with the code P0A93 (Inverter coolant). I cleared it and it went away for a few days. It came back, so I took it over to the Toyota dealer and they said it was the inverter coolant pump. It looks very simple to replace. It was just an electric water pump connected to 2 sets of hose with a couple of hose clamps. A new pump alone cost about $165 from the dealership. I just have them do it since I am not sure on how to bleed the lines. Overall, it cost me about $300 bucks for a simple water pump replacement. There were no noise coming from the pump, which indicated that it was completely dead. So, FYI, for those who have the P0A93 code. It could just be the inverter coolant pump and it is located directly behind the driver side headlight (At least on the 2005 Prius). Good luck. If anyone knows how to bleed that system, please provide some info. So if mine happens to die again in the next 60,000 miles, I can go ahead and do it myself. I'm sure, by then, there will be a cheaper aftermarket part that I can replace it with and hopefully it would last longer.

19. Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast Senior Fjord Architect

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

According to Galaxee, it's a pain to bleed either coolant system and the results are catastrophic if you get it wrong. I think you need special equipment, which is not expensive for a dealer but too much for Joe Schmoe. If it only cost you $300 for the whole job, it's not worth the risk for this particular problem, IMHO

20. TucsonPrius

TucsonPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    If anyone is keeping track, my inverter pump also failed. Code P0A93. Had it replaced today. No noise, no warning, just went out to start the car in the morning and had the CEL and the red triangle show up with the helpful notice "problem" on the MFD.

Thanks,
    Shawn