1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Inverter Coolant Pump takes a dive

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by dbarry, Aug 17, 2007.

1. henrys prius

henrys prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi I have a 2005 gen 2 prius i have a strange thing in this car had the check light turn on with the red triangule on also , now both are off the car is running without any problems but I notice that both of the electric pumps , inverter and reservoir are off or not working , no recirculation in the the inverter coolant reservoir check everithing no air in the system the inverter pump changed about 2 years ago , but I repeat the strangest thing is no check engine and triangule light on.

check with toyota scanner and no code

2. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Henry: It is an overheating issue. You can drive without the inverter pump for a while, until the heat levels rise and cause the warning lights. If you see no turbulence in the reservoir, then have Toyota take care of it ASAP. You don't want to stress the inverter any more than you have.

3. henrys prius

henrys prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    thanks check with a friend of mine just about a minute ago who is a prius technician and have the toyota computer to check the pumps individually because there are codes, he recomend to check each pump with it. Is very rare that both pumps give up at the same time right?

thanks again

4. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There is only one pump in the inverter coolant loop, and it has been a real problem for GenII Prius. Not sure which other pump you are referring to. Do you mean the Coolant Heat Storage pump (CHS) ?

5. henrys prius

henrys prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    yes , the coolant heat storage pump isnt running also
    I check the inverter pump and it has volts in the plug and the punp isnt running , the pump is clearly bad , going to check about a recall of this pump becuase last time I change by myself I will check with the dealer .

6. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    OK. The CHS pump will not be a performance problem so much, but it will set a DTC. The inverter pump will be replaced by Toyota for free, and they will check the steering column as well. Search for "C0U and C0T safety recall" on this sight.

7. clemmiez 03

clemmiez 03 Junior Member

I posted under the "newbies" tab last night. Not a newbie owner, but a newbie poster. I have an '03 with only 77,300 miles (due to being out of town a lot). No problems until yesterday when the dashboard lit up like a disco. Brought it into the dealer and he said it's an inverter pump. Well over $500 to replace. He said it's only warrantied for 8 years or 88k miles. So I'm 2 years older and 3,000 under and no luck. I called the local Brakemasters shop where I get my $18.99 oil changes w/tire rotation and 1/2 the price of the dealer cabin filters, brake fluid changes, etc. and he said he could do the pump for $400. Should I save the money or go to the dealer? Heard there was a recall of these pumps in the 2004-2009 models. Who can I call at corporate to see if I can get in on it? New service guy at dealership is not very helpful. Update: chain oil change/repair shop would have to charge more as they have a hard time getting Toyota only parts. Then I got specific with him stating this wasn't the regular water pump, but the one inside the hybrid system. Not something they should mess with. He suggested I call corporate and see if there's anything they can offer. Worth a try.

I found a direct number for Toyota Customer Service. 800-331-4331. Spoke with a very nice woman named Vanessa here in California. And yep, the warranty is over. Same with they Hybrid engine - in California it's 150,000 miles or 10 years which ever comes first. So I'm half that in miles, but over the 10 years by almost 3 months (car was first on the road in March 2003). Good to know, may think about trading it in at some point. Anyway the nice rep said that sometimes they make exceptions (and don't forget, water pumps were recalled in all 2004-2009 models). She's looking into seeing what she can do.

8. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Google is your best friend. 30 seconds later:
    Search Hybrid Components-Pump $117.

Toyota Parts Direct - Your Online Store For Toyota Parts - Quality Toyota Parts

eBay much cheaper:
    Prius Coolant Inverter Pump Part Number G9020 47031 Remanufactured Unit | eBay

Buy the pump and take it to your guy and tell him to duckbill off both in & out hoses and throw this pump in. Thats how the dealer does it. Unless you request and pay for coolant flush.

Duckbill:
    Radiator Hose Pinch-Off Pliers

1/2 hr tops. 4 Bolts. Its located right behind the drivers side headlight. Don't have any idea where you live as you did not fill that in in your profile so not sure how expensive your market is but $75 is fair here for no flush. Maybe $125 with flush included.

Top off Inverter Coolant reservoir with Toy SLLC Coolant. Done.

9. Dman90

Dman90 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I have a 2001 prius, 207000 miles. P3130 popped up yesterday. I cleared code and continued to drive for 60 miles. Code popped up 3 more times before I was home. I shut car off and let it cool down each time.
    I took bumper off and headlight and got to inverter pump. I took off and reconnected. It seems to work fine for about 2 mins then goes out, when I disconnect for a few seconds and reconnect it doesn't come on. I have to disconnect bang on it then reconnect and it'll start working again. Is this a bad pump? Should the pump always stay on or does it cut off when inverter is cool? I'm pretty sure the pump is unable to start back up again if it is normal to cut out. There was also no turbulence when I was filling inverter coolant reservoir with engine on when it first started throwing 3130 code. Any thoughts?

10. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Sorry this question got missed. Did you ever get this sorted? The pump does run continuously while the key is ON, and should never need to be banged on under normal circumstances.

-Chap

11. Dman90

Dman90 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Yes. Thank you for the reply. I replaced pump an haven't had a problem with my prius for a month now