1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Inverter Coolant Reservoir Cap Gasket.

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jzchen, Nov 29, 2019.

1. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I see a crack on the o-ring gasket, but can only find a complete cap. Does anyone know of a proper gasket replacement?

Worse comes to worse I buy a completely new cap and then try to source a gasket. Then I'll come back to report what fits.

Thanks in advance!

moto g(7) power ?

2. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Parts catalog Figure 84-32, Inverter Cooling, shows only the cap (16475-28140) and reservoir assembly. The O-ring isn’t sold separately, but from the photos in this eBay listing, it appears to be included with the cap.

I imagine you could find an O-ring of similar size in McMaster-Carr’s catalog, or perhaps even in a bargain-basement assortment, but I’m not sure I’d use a substitute without knowing the material compatibility requirements. (Do you know what, if anything, Toyota coolant does to Buna-N, or vice versa? I don’t.)

jzchen likes this.
  3. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    #3 The Critic, Nov 30, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
    Raytheeagle and jzchen like this.
  4. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Upon research the cap is the exact same for the engine coolant reservoir. Also there are aftermarket options at the brick and mortar stores like AutoZone. I almost got one there then bought instead three different packs of o-rings. I didn't know Harbor Freight has packs of them. A big thank you to both of you for the links! There's an option to select ethylene glycol compatible in the McMaster-Carr's catalog which is nice. Last time I needed one for our Sienna I ended up getting a bunch from Grainger. I don't have the luxury to order and wait I fit one that was closest from a Dorman 80000 package, eyeballing it it looked like an exact match, but felt a little loose compared to the engine coolant cap I took to compare by twisting it on. The 020-433 metric set did not have one that was a good fit, and I did not open the 020-434 standard size kit...

moto g(7) power ?

Elektroingenieur likes this.
  5. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Did I mention the cap was available through parts.toyota.com from a dealer for $19.xx, but the local dealer I called wanted a whopping $39.xx for the cap....

moto g(7) power ?

6. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    The list price in Japan is ¥1200, or about $11 at today’s exchange rate.

jzchen likes this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    jzchen likes this.
  8. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Over the years, I just added one on as an item that I might need in the future and just purchased a couple, when I ordered a large number of items like the spin on filter conversion kit from McGeorge Toyota.

So, I got the on line discount with basically free shipping. In the future, if I don't need it, I had the spare like a spare tire or a fire extinguisher. Then, in the end, I can easily get almost all I spent on it off of eBay.

I sold the old cartridge filter adapter wit a spare plastic cap and filter element on eBay, so I paid about $50 for the conversion.

Mendel Leisk and jzchen like this.
  9. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I found in the past Toyota markup for OE parts is huge here in the US.

Amayama is a great resource for buying rare parts online. My Scion iQ has drum brakes but I got a rear axle from them (for disc conversion) and it was much cheaper than if I were to source it locally. It came directly to my house, no tax/tariff, at least back then when I ordered it. (Thanks for reminding me about them). There was another company I had to order the really hard to find dust shields but the name is lost in my mind somehow.

Thanks for sharing about McGeorge. I haven't tried them yet but maybe I should. Conicelli is also really competitive. Oempartstoyou.com is another one I dealt with here in San Bernardino, just far enough that their website is accessible and I was able to pick up the parts without shipping, though it is quite a distance. Thank you.

I returned the two packages of o-rings that I didn't use and purchased a Duralast 7051 cap. While there was a casting burr, seemed a little rough on the edges, it did twist on with just the same resistance that I felt with the OE cap from the engine reservoir, so I am happy with it. I kept the old one with the Dorman ring as a spare for emergencies. The DuraLast 7051 cap is $7.99 retail, if anyone needs one....

moto g(7) power ?

Mendel Leisk and frodoz737 like this.