1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

inverter coolant reservoir has no turbulence, no inverter codes thrown?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by sukatoro, Oct 9, 2017.

1. sukatoro

sukatoro Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    hello all, quick question for the collective... i have a 2010 Prius w/ 230k miles, my inverter coolant doesn't show any turbulence at all that i've ever been able to discern, w/ ICE running or otherwise. i live in houston, so have been dealing w/ pretty high temps, and am trying to determine how to proceed from here. according to techstream on a particularly hot day my MG1/MG2 temps seem to hover around 115, i've seen 120-125 on a really hot occasion... techstream reports inverter coolant is 117F, pump running at 3500rpm... are my values way off here, or normal when it's 95F outside?

thx in advance for any suggestions or clarification friends..!

2. Travis Decker

Travis Decker Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There is nothing wrong with your car

m.wynn likes this.
  3. Terri Salhus

Terri Salhus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm having the same issue, no codes but on obd2 scanner it won't let me finish the tests stating "invertertoo hot to complete test, drive around a bit to cool it down and the test over?" But no turbulence in reservoir?

4. Terri Salhus

Terri Salhus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    How can this guy below tell you "there s nothing wrong with your car" when you have no turbulence in he reservoir, which thought was a sure sign your inverter is bad...am I wrong? Thank you

5. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    You have to look very carefully with a good focused light at times. The water pumps are variable speed and may not be at full speed. The primary purpose of any coolant system is to keep the devices within safe range. When you are driving in 100f weather for a period of time, the mig temps can be close to the engine temperature of 195-204f. When that happens the inverter coolant loop which also cools the migs can rise to at least 140f without alarming. In the Ops case he was well within acceptable temps.

Car scanner six temps and wps.jpg

In this capture the car has cooled off some and was just restarted. Note the variable speeds of the pumps.
    3810F5EC-B7EF-4AC9-949B-A02E6E53B973.png

#5 rjparker, Sep 21, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2022