1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Inverter Coolant Tank -- Broke or not?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by cyberpriusII, Feb 28, 2016.

1. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was out braving the gentle winter breezes this afternoon, checking under the hood and -- like always -- was unsure if the inverter coolant level was low or not.

I find it easier to tell if I unscrew the cap and look inside. So, I start to turn the cap. It was very tough to turn. In fact, I got nervous, thinking to myself, "this is how it comes off right? Am I breaking something?" It stayed that way through about 2/3's of the removal.

Well, it came out. It had a bit of white crust around the inside of the neck of the tank and some on the threads, which I assume was what was causing the "stuck" cap. Not a lot, but you could certainly see it.
    The car has had a thin crust of this stuff around the outside seam of the tank for at least 30K -- you know the seam that goes all around the tank and makes it tough to see if the coolant level is right to the top....

That had appeared before I took it in for the inverter coolant recall thing several years ago, IIRC

Coolant level was fine and has always been fine. No codes thrown and the car runs fine. It has about 80K.

Last time I drove it was three days ago. As an aside, as I was removing the cap, that "rattlesnake sound" the car makes came on for a bit. But that sound seems to crop up all the time. :rolleyes:

So, I am leaning toward, ain't broke, don't mess with it....???? Are these caps like the radiator caps that need replacing every once in awhile?

And, yes, I spent half the afternoon googling for anyone else reporting this and found nothing before I gave up and decided to post.
    Kris

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. Wash off the inverter coolant reservoir with a cup of water, dry it with a paper towel, and see whether the crust on the seam reappears during your road trip.
    2. If the coolant level is not dropping then the reservoir and the cap are fine.
    3. It is pretty normal for the cap to accumulate deposits from the coolant.
    4. The sound of the engine coolant heat recovery system pump is unrelated to the inverter coolant reservoir.

3. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Patrick, Patrick, Patrick:

Thank you so much for your reply!

I was getting a bit worried about it the more I thought about it. But, your answer has eased my worries!

I will scrub external deposits off in the next day or so, I think I may have a window on Monday before the ice and snow begin again!

Kris

4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No even if you check it often that cap is hard to take off. You could put some grease on the cap threads though.

I wish you could change that coolant before your trip. It would pay dividends in a no hassle trip plus you'll see mpg gains also. The Prius really likes new Inverter coolant. I always put in a bottle of Redline Water Wetter also. Same color!

The level of agitation is dramatically increased with new coolant compared to 80K mile coolant. Much better flow with new coolant. And water wetter. My coolant tank circulation is pretty violent. Really bubbles like under high heat on the stove.

The Inverter is the heart & soul of the car. I change mine every 30K.