1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Inverter Coolent Color - 2nd Generation Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Krishwije, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Krishwije

Krishwije New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I recently got a 2008 2nd generation Prius, done about 70,000km, and Inverter coolant pump replaced about two months back by local garage (not a dealer)

I today only noticed that the coolant in the reservoir tank near the inverter is NOT pink color but light green and there is turbulence on that tank and coolant pump behind the head light sounds normal.

I have driven about 500km today without any warning lights or problems and fuel consumption about 20km/l.

Do I need to change the Inverter coolant? (pink color SLLC)
    If so how urgent is it?

2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Your local garage put in Prestone instead of Toyota SLLC. Not a huge thing but I would prefer the original SLLC.

You say you have turbulence in the tank and that's good but at the pump behind the headlight it should sound like an aquarium pump a nice clear whine to it. No turbulence sound or gurgling sound just nice smooth whine. Any other sound than that whine means there's air trapped in that coolant loop which is not good as it will compromise coolant efficiency.

If the pump sounds ok you'll be fine. I would replace that coolant in about 10K miles though and put the right stuff in there. I change my I coolant every 30K miles as there's alot of aluminum corrosion going on in that system.

Krishwije likes this.
  3. Krishwije

Krishwije New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank You.. Yes, I compaired the pump sound with another same model Prius, Its same and nice and smooth motor sound on both, seems its ok...

As you advised Im planing to replace the green coolant with Toyota SLLC (pink) with my next oil change/service in about 7k...