1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Inverter cooling fan coming on

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by duffasaurus, Mar 17, 2010.

1. duffasaurus

duffasaurus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I recently noticed that a cooling fan is coming on when I heard that kind of noise from the rear passenger seat area. I traced it to the vent next to the right rear passenger seat. The speed of the fan seems to increase with vehicle speed. Under what conditions does this come on since I only noticed it after driving for about twenty minutes with an outside temp. of about 61 degrees F??

2. linuxpenguin

linuxpenguin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Sounds like the battery cooling fan--it has an intake on the right rear passenger side of the vehicle. I wouldn't worry about it. The fan is supposed to cool the battery pack in order to keep it in its most efficient temperature range regardless of outside ambient temperature. The battery will heat up after a lot of driving and will stay warm even over night since the battery has a pretty high thermal mass.

Andrew

3. duffasaurus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Is this something new on the 2010 Prius since I've never heard this on an '07 or '09?

4. linuxpenguin

linuxpenguin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The Gen2 (2004-2009) wasn't as aggressive in cooling the batteries--as I understand it. I don't actually have a Gen3 so I can't comment further about that, but the cooling system is basically the same (the Gen3 just uses it more).

Andrew

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    All Prius have traction battery cooling fans. While driving my vehicles, I've heard the fan come on, usually in warm weather.

Tbkilb01 likes this.
  6. duffasaurus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It makes sense that the cooling fan is operating more, because only recently have the daytime temps. moved into the 60's on a regular basis. When I first heard the noise, thought a window had been left open. :confused:

7. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    My grill is blocked almost 100%. OAT has been in the 60's & 72F over the last couple afternoons. The car sits outside all day & my commute is ~35miles, mostly highway 50-55mph posted (average speed is 30mph). Today the highest coolant temp I saw was 195F. I have yet to hear a fan spin up in either car.

8. Tbkilb01

Tbkilb01 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I had a candy wrapper flapping around in the fans basket before I cleaned it out and it was loud! The sound of the plastic flapping in there made the fan noticeable. I Certainly could hear the fan at the third level really turning to push air to battety. I kinda miss that wrapper! Let me know it was cooling! The fan runs really quiet. Next time I clean it I may reinsert a plastic wrapper. :D

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I've monitored the speed of that fan with a ScanGaugeII, seen it go up to "4" (on a scale of 6?), but have yet to hear it. If yours is loud enough to easily hear, I would look into cleaning it. It's a relatively easy DIY to dig down to it, and you don't need to remove the fan itself to clean.

BTW, if you're searching: it's not the "inverter cooling fan". Inverter is the component next to the engine. You could try "hybrid battery fan", something like that.