1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Inverter died today. Thanks Toyota for the extended warranty

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by butchbs1985, Oct 3, 2018.

1. butchbs1985

butchbs1985 Taking things apart is fun!

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    When getting off the interstate today, my dash lit up like a Christmas tree and the Prius v with 127k miles went into limp mode. Got it to a dealer who is replacing it at no charge under the 15 year guarantee I seem to recall having received in the mail.

My question is: did they do something to improve the inverter longevity?

I had the recall update applied of course but recall thinking it alone may be insufficient to resolve the electrical issues. (assuming that's the fault it experienced today)

2. butchbs1985

butchbs1985 Taking things apart is fun!

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Kind of bummed I have to pay for a rental for a couple days but I guess that beats the cost of an inverter.

3. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The theory is the original firmware was stressing the IGT power transistors too much which can lead to failure through a cumulative effect even after the firmware update. Its possible Toyota upgraded some parts and are hoping that many of the original inverter/converters had better transistors through manufacturing tolerances alone.

4. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Toyota was hoping that any cumulative, pre-firmware re-flash, damage would not ultimately prove fatal. Time will tell, but at least they extended warranty coverage to 15 years, what many would consider 'vehicle lifetime'.