1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Inverter failure

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by RWatters, Jul 17, 2013.

1. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Size and price. :p

2. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    lol really?

I meant why this magic 100 mile restriction, though more like 60 in winter. That is no use to most and probably why EV sales here in the UK are stalling. Tesla have their expensive S model which is being sold from £50,000 inc 20% vat. Not bad compared to £22,000 for the Prius or £21,000 to £25,000 for the Leaf.

If as others have suggeste the price of the Leaf battery pack is £5,000, then why not make it 50% more for £7,500 and give it a 170 range? The base Leaf is £21,000 here and barely selling. If they had a 150 range (100 usable) it would still cost £23,500. That would be more use for minimal expense.

Just curious why they still at 160 km/100 mile range.

3. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Again, size. Where are you going to put the bigger battery to get more range? The car would have to be redesigned.

4. Mr.Electric

Mr.Electric Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I think the best cars are the new cars. I mean they get better every year. Those old checker cabs were such pieces of shit even when compared to a Crown Victoria. Ford Escape hybrid and Prius are excellent vehicles compared to any cab that came before them. In terms of fuel consumption and maintenance interval length. I would guess that old checker cabs were getting points adjusted once a week. New plugs and valve adjustment once a month. Engine and or trans rebuild once a year. Lots of labor in comparison. I wonder if operating costs have changed over the years. Could there be less labor and more parts costs making a similar operating cost today?