1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Inverter failures rare??

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by LA-Chris, Feb 7, 2018.

1. LA-Chris

LA-Chris New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Interesting front page article in the LA Times this morning:

The forum won't let me post the link, but you can find it on latimes searching on "Prius."

Sub headline:

Local dealer reports scores of post-recall breakdowns in 2010-14 models. Automaker rejects his allegations.

These have been reported as "rare" but I'm wondering just how rare? I have found a number of them searching the forum. Most are not saying whether the recall with the software fix was applied. This dealer is claiming the software fix did not completely eliminate the issue, and overheating inverters are still happening.

Mine is a 2012 so naturally I'm interested in anyone's experience with this. Any patterns related to climate or driving style? I drive 99.9 percent in the ECO mode.

Chris

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Toyota sold hundreds of thousands of these cars, to find a few reported cases, I'd say it's a rare failure.

You'll most likely see more head gasket failures than inverter failures

3. m.wynn

m.wynn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Agree with JC, pretty isolated issue and very well supported by Toyota. They straight up fix these with no BS. When you think about it, the 2010 model in particular was starting it's 5th year when they implemented the software patch in Feb. 2014. Plenty of time for failure to occur but they seemed rare up to that point. It almost seems like they (IPM failures) have become more prevalent since the E0E (software fix), which would support the dealer claim regarding the patch. This makes sense as all turd gens up through 2013 had a decent amount of time to accumulate fatigue before the software flash.

Driving in ECO mode suggests gentle acceleration. This is good as full-throttle acceleration is generally thought to be the straw that breaks the camels back. I'd say you really don't have anything to worry about with this issue. As JC said, if you are planning on going high miles with your 2012, EGR circuit/head gasket issues need to be more of a concern.

#3 m.wynn, Feb 7, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
    Raytheeagle and mjoo like this.
  4. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    In all seriousness, this will be the last Toyota car I will ever buy.

m.wynn and Raytheeagle like this.
  5. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    That’s cause your going to do all the preventative maintenance to make it last a very long time:).

mjoo, m.wynn and JC91006 like this.
  6. Lightning Racer

Lightning Racer Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My sense from reading here the past couple years is that it's the other way around. The head gasket gets more attention because it's usually not covered by warranty. The IPM failures are fixed quickly under a warranty enhancement, usually without a fight. Maybe my sense is colored by my car having the inverter failure under the previous owner before I bought it.

Raytheeagle and m.wynn like this.
  7. m.wynn

m.wynn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Strong point, Lightning Racer(y)...

Raytheeagle likes this.
  8. m.wynn

m.wynn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Understand this feeling toward Toyota regarding turd gen issues. I try to focus on the fact that across the board they serve up the overall most reliable line of vehicles of any manufacturer, and back it with the same level of support to loyal customers. That's not to say they don't hardball some owners on warranty issues and don't warranty some issues we feel they should. They are an automaker after all, and guilty of the typical industry BS to a degree.

With direct regard to the turd gen engine issues, I believe they are a result of pushing the limits of efficiency in a model they've defined an industry segment with. Something's gotta give at some point, and the EGR design fail tends to rear it's ugly head at a mileage which allows Toyota to take the low road(n). But as Ray says, if you're willing to keep the EGR free breathing by your own doing, the turd gen can reliably run a more Gen 2-like lifetime, imo.

#8 m.wynn, Feb 8, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
    mjoo and Raytheeagle like this.
  9. cnc97

cnc97 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I found this in the service history on my Prius. This was done before I got the car. Should I be worried about another failure?

Attached Files:

Raytheeagle likes this.
  10. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Nope ;).

The IPM warranty was there for the prior owner and now you:).

Should be good to go(y).

m.wynn likes this.
  11. Jisnis

Jisnis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My wife's 2010 Prius had 60K on it when the inverter failed and the check hybrid system light came on.The dealer ended up replacing it under what i believe is the "IPM" warranty. I wouldnt say its "rare" but I wouldnt say its "common" neither. The dealer knew exactly what it was as soon as I brought it in.