1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Inverter High Pitch Noise

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by krausternet, Dec 18, 2013.

1. krausternet

krausternet Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have a 2013 Prius. I was noticing a high pitch coming that I could hear when I had the driver side window down and the sound was reflecting against things I was driving by. It was strange because it didn't change pitch at different speeds, and it would be there most of the time regardless of whether I was speeding up or slowing down. And regardless of whether I was using the brakes or not. I've been told this is the sound of the inverter.

I also started noticing that high pitch sound at about the same time that I had noticed a clanging sound coming from the front wheels when I hit a bump, or sometimes braked as if something was loose. This was in the first couple months of having the car. At the 5K check up I reported this and the dealer looked at it and said they found some suspension elements a little loose. The clanging sound was a little better but it was still there after they did that. And the inverter sound was definitely still there. At the 10K checkup I again reported the clanging sound. This time they said that I needed a new shim kit for the front brakes.

They ordered it and I finally got around to getting it worked on yesterday. The clanging sound seems to be gone, AND I am noticing the high pitch inverter sound is much quieter. It is still there a little but I am happy that it is less loud.

What do the brake shims have to do with the high pitch sound?

2. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    If it is produced by the Inverter assembly, nothing to do.
    All Prius Inverters do make that type of High Pitch noise, it is the nature of the electronics.

3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you distinguishing the inverter whine from the pedestrian warning noise maker (VPNS), a.k.a. the 'spaceship noise'?
    As you age, your hearing cuts off more and more of the high pitched noises, bringing more tranquility. :) I can no longer hear the obnoxious horizontal rescan of CRT TVs. Dad couldn't find his pickup keys last week because he can no longer hear the whining key-in-ignition warning buzzer.

4. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Prius makes all kinds of strange sounds. Park in a garage and power it down, then stand back for a few minutes and listen to the car go thru it's routines :) It's alive [​IMG]

Mike

mygel and Data Daedalus like this.
  5. Feri

Feri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

I hear it all the time plus a SUV tyres on tar road sound. The joys of tinittus!:(

6. BreakingPrius

BreakingPrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Mine sounds like a space ship sometimes.

Data Daedalus and WE0H like this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm with you mate!:mad:

Feri likes this.
  8. Data Daedalus

Data Daedalus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I actually call mine "The Spaceship" for those reasons. It's amazing shutting down this vehicle and climbing out. As you might recover bits and bobs from the vehicle before you walk away, you can hear a whole series of noises one after the other as the onboard computer systems of your Prius "road going spaceship" continues to carry out its preprogrammed shut down sequence.

Indeed I am reminded of THAT scene in Star Wars Episode V, after the Millenium Falcon has landed on the Landing Pad at Bespin Cloud City and makes a wide range of noises, venting gases, and other systems audibly shutting down even as the crew disembarked!

It's at times like this that I realise what an amazing amount of work went into the Prius - literally ANY Prius.

Yup......t'is indeed very like a spaceship :D

iPad ? HD

Feri likes this.
  9. Feri

Feri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    May the force be with you!

10. Data Daedalus

Data Daedalus Senior Member