1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Inverter: How much power? and how?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by andreimontreal, Dec 10, 2020.

1. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Isolation modules are available from RV and Offgrid stores. They allow charging and discharge isolation in their design. Some are better than others about reducing charging voltage drop to the secondary battery. A good one ensures the vehicle battery is charged before allowing the secondary battery to charge.

https://www.wirthco.com/battery-doctor/battery-isolators-testers-monitors/battery-isolator-series/150-amp
    (Important Note: Wirthco refers to the second 12v battery as the "auxiliary" battery)

FDA4BF7A-23EB-4529-823C-1E522514B689.jpeg

#21 rjparker, Dec 14, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2020
    andreimontreal likes this.
  2. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    I actually set up a car in this manner back in the 1960s when I was in college. My friend's Corvette had been stolen and recovered with some missing parts and a hole in the fender to disconnect the battery to disable the alarm. He asked me if I could prevent this from reoccurring. I installed an "auxiliary battery" in the trunk to power the alarm with diode isolation so that the alarm was separately powered.

About 3 weeks later the thieves struck again and cut a hole in the fender to disable the alarm. When the alarm went off, they dropped the car and took off so my friend still had his Corvette. My friend complained that they put a hole in his fender. You can't please all of the people, all of the time.

JeffD

#22 jdenenberg, Dec 14, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2020
    rjparker, ASRDogman and Raytheeagle like this.
  3. black_jmyntrn

black_jmyntrn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Whatever you get, just make sure its a pure sine inverter, I made this mistake and regretted it after spending more money for a Pur Sine Inverter.

Toyota Prius upgraded Power Inverter -

Minima Domum likes this.
  4. andreimontreal

andreimontreal Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Loud and clear. That's what I'm looking for.

Andrei

5. andreimontreal

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Happy new year!

@ChapmanF , is the 1000 watts the official rating of that unit? or somebody measured it?

@rjparker & folks , if you have a few minutes ...

A few questions, at 1000 watts and 12V, with assumed 90% efficiency, does a Prius 3rd gen charge the connected batteries at roughly 75 amps ? An empty 100 amph LiFePo4 would take 1h 20 min to get it full? Did anybody measure/test this?

In ready mode, inverter straight in the car's battery (no other batteries), is the inverter drawing current from the battery or the Prius' converter under the hood? Asking for the sake of my education: say 2000 watts inverter, running 1500 watts appliance - this would fry the converter?

I am downsized to 1000 watts in terms of appliances. Probably will buy the inverter in the 1500-2000 watts if I can find a good deal; just for energy efficiency when running it, don't want to be maxed out - or so I gather after researching inverters a bit.

Speaking of inverters, not sure I understand something well. There are these inverter-charger units. The charging bit of the unit is a feature that can be used only with shore power, right? Or that's what it seems like to me so far. Not sure I'd have access to power outlets in general. Are public power outlets a common thing around Walmarts and whatnot in USA and Canada? I know they aren't in the wild. Given that a Prius is a fairly efficient generator, I don't think the extra cost (500-700usd more) of a unit like that is justified. If I were to convert that money to gas vs all the times I'd plug in my system, it would probably be cheaper??? But maybe I'm wrong - what do you think? what do you know?

Andrei

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    As Toyota builds that converter only to supply the equipment they build into the car, plus things you might plug into the max-120-watt "power outlets", they haven't felt any need to commit to any specific output power rating for it.

So you look at other information. There is a 125 amp "DC/DC" fuse at its output, in the engine compartment fuse box. At say 13.8 volts that gives you a maximum of 1725 watts. Fuse selection usually involves adding about a 25% cushion over the expected maximum load (in a house, a 15 amp circuit would not be run for any expected load over 12 amps), so you might divide that 1725 by 1.25 and decide you're looking at 1380 watts tops.

Not every circuit tree in the engine compartment fuse box comes from downstream of that fuse. Some of the ones that don't are heavyish (radiator fans, engine water pump, supplemental heat). So perhaps the converter is a bit beefier. (But if you are planning to locate your inverter in the back near the battery, you are traversing that fuse, because the cable from that fuse box to the battery is downstream of it.) But you shouldn't assume that it's sized to run the car's heaviest loads all simultaneously, because that would be really unusual. And it goes without saying that you should assume it will have to run some of the rest of the car along with your added load.

The next thing you can do is attach a honkin' inverter and start drawing different amounts of current and see what happens. Bob Wilson did that some years ago, albeit with an earlier Prius generation. There are a few things that can happen, in order:

1. The converter has an output signal called "IDH" that is turned on when it is being overtaxed and wants to say "Uncle!". In earlier generations, that was an actual discrete signal coming out on a wire of its own, you could monitor it with an LED. In this generation, it is a message sent over the CAN bus. Edit: nope, rjparker corrected me below; it's still a discrete signal. As the car is built, only one thing listens for the IDH signal: the A/C amplifier, which will disable the supplemental heat element (saving 700 watts) if the converter sends it. I've often recommended that anyone adding large accessory loads to a Prius also consider monitoring that signal (or even building a circuit to shed the added load automatically when signaled, just as the A/C amplifier does). Admittedly that was easier in the earlier generations where you could just tap into a signal wire rather than dealing with the CAN bus.
    2. If the converter is overloaded and the IDH signal is ignored, the next thing likely to happen is the output voltage will begin to droop. With many kinds of passive loads, that would naturally lead to a reduction in the power being drawn, and an equilibrium might result. With an added inverter as a load, that won't happen: instead, your inverter will say "hmm, source voltage dropping, I'll have to draw more current to make the same power", leading probably to further droop. In Bob's experiments, voltage droop was seeming to set in around 1000 watts of added load. If the voltage droops far enough, your added inverter will probably sound an alarm and/or turn itself off.
    3. If the converter continues to be overloaded further and for long enough, my expectation would be that it isn't very likely to be fried, but more likely to say "I've had enough of this" and turn off. It's possible that turning the car off and giving it some time to cool will bring it back. I'd want to avoid repeating that scenario too many times.

Some charging current measurements were made by AHetaFan six years ago.

Because the battery is a voltage source around 12.8 volts tops, and the converter is a source at least a volt higher, whenever the converter is operating, anything powered on the car's "12 volt" system is being powered by the converter, and the battery is receiving power (being charged), not sourcing it.

That could change if you are drawing so heavy a load that you make the converter output droop and (combined with the voltage drop in cabling) its output ends up below that of the battery at your point of connection. Then you would be drawing some from the battery as well. I wouldn't regard that as a very sustainable arrangement.

There might be something to that energy efficiency argument, but you might also do a little back-of-envelope math to estimate how much practical difference it would make in gasoline burned for your typical usage. The higher-rated inverters will also be physically larger, possibly reducing your options for a tidy installation, weigh more, costing you energy driving them around, and require heavier-gauge wiring and terminations to install (unless you deliberately undersize the connections because you aren't expecting to use its full capacity). They're also likely to cost more, and cost more to replace if you happen to connect a load that damages the inverter (which has happened to me). You'd have to judge for yourself, but sometimes in looking at the whole picture, right-sizing can be more attractive than oversizing.

#26 ChapmanF, Jan 3, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
  7. andreimontreal

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Your answers are like Christmas mornings haha :cry:(y)!

Exactly where I'm at with the research: size-cost- and reliability check via reviews.

Since you're in the US, do you know any specialized inverter electronics shops other than inverters r us (the one I know) that are worth checking out? So far US proves to be cheaper factoring in import taxes as well.

8. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    No, sorry, haven't shopped for any inverters in a while. My house already looks like I collect the wretched things.

9. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    When you start talking about shore power and 2000 watt inverters, I once again suggest a quality RV store to explore their made for purpose systems, battery isolators and deep cycle 12v battery(s).

The system could still run off the Prius dc to dc but isolate itself enough to protect the car. If you occasionally have 120vac shore power ("borrowed" in the wild or purchased at camp sites) then your additional battery is fast charged and your loads are directly served by utility power. You get more than shore power capability with these systems, you get refined and configurable mass market products that also provide reliability and safety. Quality in these parts have purposes that you don't have to discover the hard way. For example the car's 125 amp fusible link is a bear to replace and often is not in stock at the Toyota dealer. So protect your fusible link or it may strand you in the wilderness.

A quality inverter is the Xantrex Freedom XC 2000 817-2080 or similar. An earlier post referenced a decent battery isolator.

By the way, an extra circuit based on the car's IDH signal would be a next level enhancement that could save the fusible link. My gen3 documentation indicates IDH still exists as a discrete wire. It would be low power requiring a high impedance interface such as a mosfet rather than a simple relay. The Xantrex inverter includes a shutdown input.

A Honda inverter generator and a couple of 200w plugin dc to ac modules might be my choice. At least until I joined the RV set. Then I would add about 800 watts of solar to top off the 800ah lithium batteries.

#29 rjparker, Jan 3, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
  10. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Where, where? It's somehow eluded me (and I'm almost positive somebody told me it had morphed into a CAN message).

11. andreimontreal

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    100%. I found this clip and it explains so well RV inverter circuits - leaving it here for future generations.

If you say that indeed is enough of a big deal regarding those higher end units then I'm willing to drop the cash because this is a unit I'd be using for many years: Prius or no Prius. I read something which hinted to this on boating forums but wasn't sure if it was overkill in my case.

What do you think of Magnum (looking at ME2012 - the 2800 and 3000 W models like this are the most quoted among truckers and boaters from what I read so far) or Victron (this 2000 watts model). I heard Magnum/Victron are hailed as top units; Magnum is a real workhorse some say, highly reliable - Victron a bit more refined with more options. Xantrex was on the list of good brands too - the price of that model is nice here in Canada and it's small/good looking to with nice features :eek:.

In all honesty, I'm not as electronics educated to understand what you're saying for now. I'll look into it though. I'm certainly good at copying somebody's mod. Once I hear an explanation, I pick things up fast.

EDIT: Btw I was reading about LiFePo4 batteries while researching this. If I have the $$$ is there any advantage to get one of those for my car instead of the lead-acid? is it worth it?

#31 andreimontreal, Jan 3, 2021
  12. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    6080E51B-53C9-402C-8AB1-E52D92985DA8.jpeg DC72EA2B-A0A0-4DE2-8740-0D354674CE13.jpeg

13. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The idea is you have two 12v batteries, ideally of the same chemistry. Look at post 12 for a diagram. Both are 12v batteries, one is isolated from the other. So much can be gained by going down to the RV store and talking to them.

Realize I think the whole idea is not cost effective compared to a generator and low cost plugin modules.

#33 rjparker, Jan 3, 2021
  14. andreimontreal

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That escaped me - glad I asked.

The inverter is for me on the road in general; the back-up energy is of a secondary concern. I'm working on this mini camper (the tiniest house on wheels) mod out of my Prius. And it's supposed to be for travelling or work. I'll have a 5 gallon water reservoir with a tap, storage for clothing/gear/sports gear, a place to sleep and whatnot; duct tape yourself onto the chair - you'll fall off it for sure . I'll make a vid or show pics when done - but wait for it the damn carpentry is giving me headaches: the uneven floor and the carpets are killing me. Getting all the edges of the vertical supports coplanar has proven challenging (made of baltic birch ply). It's like geometry for crystal globe readers sometimes. I just discovered this 1.5mm mistake at the back on one height which somehow was translating to 1cm of an error at the front which went undetected even though everything was cut perfectly (and my construction is pretty complex, building literally a piece of complex furniture to ensure my things are safe from stealing).

EDIT:

Found here (post 10) some valuable info for sizing inverters and battery banks:

Also keep in mind your battery bank size. You should never really draw more than .5c (which is the capacity of your battery in amp hours divided by the rate of discharge. Example 100ah battery discharging at 50 amps is .5c) from your battery for long term health. Since you stated you want a 1500-2000 watt inverter, at 2000watt at 12v you are drawing 166amps from the battery, that's before the conversion efficiency. Cheaper inverters are anywhere from 75-80% efficient. The more expensive inverters typically have an 85-90% efficiency, but lets just assume 85% efficiency. that 166 turns into 195 amps so we can just round up to 200 amps. Also keep in mind voltage drop with high discharge. With a small bank, you're going to have more voltage drop at higher discharge rates so you might trip your inverters low voltage disconnect with a smaller bank. For long term health of the battery, I would suggest no less than 400 amps of battery (regardless of chemistry)..​

Andrei

#34 andreimontreal, Jan 3, 2021
  15. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
  16. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I'm a bad hack carpenter, can't help you at all there.

On the other hand, I'll tell you that I'd readily agree with the battery sizing advice you've been offered. And I'd underscore the point that a planned 200A draw on 400Ah battery is still near limit.

Now, from personal experience I can tell you that you'd do pretty well with two series pairs of Trojan T-105 batteries in parallel. They would pretty well fill up the rear footwells of the car, and they'd be a very dependable 450Ah 12v battery system for you. I've used them for years for offgrid power.

Note that this is also quite large and heavy. Just to be clear- I'm talking about four lead acid batteries each about the size of a traditional car battery. You'd put two in each rear footwell, and I suppose the inverter could be nested in between. So you're talking about losing all of that space and about 350lbs of payload for this power system vs. a 65lb generator the size of a gym bag.

#36 Leadfoot J. McCoalroller, Jan 4, 2021
  17. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I am not worried about future generations, it is the here and now that concerns me. By then buyers will have 7200 watt inverter systems engineered in from the factory, like the 7.2kw option a Ford F150 truck can have today. Or they could modify a used Rav4 Prime which has a decent sized hv battery to work worth along with adequate load capacity.

5 Fun Facts About the 2021 F-150’s Onboard Generator - PickupTrucks.com News

While the video was a good first day introduction to RV 101 electrics, he is not considering the interface to a $30k Toyota hybrid system and the potential of bricking that system. His main concern is selecting matched products so they "last longer". Proceed with caution.

Have you considered enrolling in a top notch engineering school with a double major in mechanical and electrical engineering? Maybe a minor in business or economics.

#37 rjparker, Jan 4, 2021
    Ed Beaty likes this.
  18. black_jmyntrn

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I'm on my phone and quoting isn't working, read a few posts up a 1500 watt appliance would fry the converter? Explain please because on my 2200 watt inverter I run an air fryer or induction stove... not to max but my kilawatt meter during tests shows max 1600 and change, nothing got fried.

A 2nd battery is next, purchasing oem battery bracket, positive cable, negative cable and vent house to install 2nd on the driver's side cubby opposite of where oem battery is. Original thought was yellow top as main and stock non original battery for my 2nd but the reviews on the yellow top back in 2016-2018 don't make me feel comfortable about using a yellow top. My end goal is to leave the car in ready mode over night and it not kick on as much through out the night.

19. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You are installing a 2nd battery in parallel, right? Will the Prius inverter charge both batteries?
    I know the voltage is the same, but wouldn't you need more amperage?

20. black_jmyntrn

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Yes, using an isolator. Yes when the car is on.

Given my body size and limited space in the car, I have no room for larger battery. I'd love a 100Ah battery by battle born... for now my plan is dual yellow tops or just dual stock like batteries.

I'm really trying to get the car to turn on the least number of times while camping over night. Also would like to know that my fridge/router/electronics can run while car is off and ill always be able to start the car without using a jumper if it goes dead.