1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Inverter? HV Battery?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by mak022838, Jun 14, 2021.

1. mak022838

mak022838 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I have a 2006 Prius I bought from a used dealership about a month ago. It had 169k miles on it. He said he had replaced the hybrid battery with a refurbished one about a month before I bought it and he replaced the 12V right after I bought it because I was having an issue with the electric park (which seems to have fixed that issue). It has about about 172k miles now.

Driving it yesterday and the red triangle came up and the screen said "problem" then the vsc light and some others came on, car had no acceleration. At first the accelerator wasn't working at all. Turned it off and let it sit, restarted it and it would just barely accelerate, wasn't kicking over to the electric motor, it stalled and died a couple times, and the a/c stopped blowing cold air. Managed to get it home like that. It would get up to about 50mph but that's it and it would take a long time to get there. When I got it home it had a strong electrical smell coming from under the hood. It had been close to 100 degrees lately and I drive it about 125 miles a day and run the a/c all day with a lot of parked idling. I let is set overnight and it seems okay so far today after about an hour of driving but I still have the red triangle. I checked the inverter coolant tank and it has good turbulence.

Any thoughts on what it could be? Thanks.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you will probably need to read the trouble codes with tech stream for a proper diagnosis.

3. mak022838

mak022838 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I took it to the dealership today since they are the only ones in the area that will even look at it. Dreading the bad news tomorrow.

4. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like your inverter coolant water pump has shorted out and needs replacing.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    even though it had good turbulence?

6. mak022838

mak022838 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Dealership said it was the hybrid battery. Quoted $2700 plus tax to replace it. I bought this car a month ago under the impression the battery had been replaced a month before I bought it.

7. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How are the local lemon laws?

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sorry to hear it!
    unfortunately, you can't really refurbish a battery to a known quality. it is stil more or less an old battery with various potential for failure, depending on the degree to which the rebuilder carefully scrutinizes each module, and balances.
    i woud go back to the dealer you urchased it from.
    we generally recommend new batteris, best deals start at $1,600. for the battery plus labor.

9. mak022838

mak022838 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Unfortunately local lemon laws don't cover used vehicles. Especially "sold as is" vehicles. Battery was luckily under warranty. BUT got it replaced and drove 3 miles down the road and the same thing happened. Here are the error codes from the dealership.

Attached Files:

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    unreadable. is this a toyota dealership?

11. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Very hard to read due to unfocused images, but what I can make out are mostly battery codes. You exchanged one bad battery for another.

Samuel Williams Jr likes this.
  12. mak022838

mak022838 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yes that is from the dealership.

13. mak022838

mak022838 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    After it did it again right after I had the battery switched I was able to restart the car a few times and it cleared and has running fine for the last four days with no issues (about 100 miles a day) today drove it about 10 miles and suddenly same issue again.

14. mak022838

mak022838 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Is it at all possible that it could be a bad relay? Because I do have the issue of when I turn my headlights on at night I loose my dash lights. I also one time had no headlights at all and had to wiggle the relay around for them to come back on.

15. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What did you pay for this car?

16. Samuel Williams Jr

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Ok clearly you got "Screwed!" There is just "No Way," they replaced the original battery with a New OEM Battery or even a good refurbished one?

It seems to be still doing the same crap, it was doing and adding new issues "since you won't fix me (the car says)?" :(

I would bet most likely, it still has the OEM Battery Pack in it and the HV Battery fan is dirty and inefficient and killed the OEM battery, the first time? And all they did was swap out cells and then sell it to you? And most likely if you were not driving it so far now, in the heat, it would have limped along just fine for months'?

But it is failing early ... so they replaced module's, yet again in the "Bad Pack?" And they can get away with that because you have no idea, what they are doing?

And you have no idea what they are doing? So you have to take their word? Well Plan B. How big a PIA do you want to be? Get a Pan along OBD II Bluetooth adaptor. and the DR Prius App ( about 25 buck's all in) and you can see where the bad cell's are among other stuff.

And that can tell you what the State of your battery pack actually is! And if you want to be a hard core PIA, once you see where the bad cells are? Mark them with a scribe in a very innocuous way or "hell all cell's with a "Small Dot," that would be hard to see. Photograph your work and then take it back and just say, the "Battery is Bad again?"

If you can prove they are lying about what they are doing, that changes your bargaining position? And yeah not practical but it is what I would I do ... depending on how ticked off I was. :)

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    a hundred degrees is hard on any hybrid battery. but especially an old refurbished one. it might just be the battery protection software kicking in.

18. mak022838

mak022838 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I traded an 05 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo with 210k miles they gave me 2k for it and I gave 2k cash on top.

19. mak022838

mak022838 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Base

20. mak022838

mak022838 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Problem is they will charge me another $250 again for another service trip on top of the work I have to do that you described.