1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Inverter installation

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Zeus661, Jun 16, 2016.

1. Zeus661

Zeus661 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    i have a 2013 P3 and I need an inverter so I can plug in my laptop charger. It's a newer one and right now they don't make a 12v adapter for it. I would like to wire in a simple inverter. I do not want to use the two 12v cigarette Jack's as they are both being used. Any ideas on a simple way to do this? I want it only hot when the car is running.

Thanks

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    usually tap right off the 12v, but that would be hot all the time. check the inverter threads for ideas and instructions.

3. Redpoint5

Redpoint5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Get a cigarette jack multiplier for a few bucks. Or just switch between the inverter and whatever else you are plugging into the cigarette jack as needed. Or get a better laptop. Newer ones should go 10 hours on a charge.

The most difficult approach would be to tap into the wires that lead to the cigarette jack. I don't see the point in going through the hassle.

4. szgabor

szgabor Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Also remember none of those jacks are ON unless car in READY mode so you can only charge while driving.

Check the fuse I think it is only 10A not sure how much power you need to charge but 12V=>Inverter 110=>laptop adapter brick (converter)=> laptop combo will loose 20-30%

As mentioned a splitter is a few bucks.