1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Inverter or battery?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by TucsonZoe86, Jul 19, 2019.

1. TucsonZoe86

TucsonZoe86 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi! I’ve been having an issue where when I’m driving, suddenly my 2007 Prius will beep and say “problem” and display the red triangle, the check engine light, the VSC light, the ABS light, and several others. It will let me continue driving until I can park and turn it off. When I restart, the lights are still there but the car can not drive or go into reverse. I got it towed once, and they replaced the non-hybrid battery. It ran normally for a bit. The second time it happened, Toyota said no codes came up and gave it back. It happened again, and Toyota is trying to tell me that it’s the hybrid battery and has quoted me $3600 in replacement. I’ve done my homework and believe this is the inverter pump. They insist nothing is wrong but I don’t understand why a battery failure would act this way. Does anyone have any advice or insight? I’m convinced it’s the inverter and not the battery. Thanks.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you open the inverter reservoir cap while the car is READY, you should see turbulence in the fluid. If there is no movement in the fluid, then the pump has failed.

3. TucsonZoe86

TucsonZoe86 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The car is at the Toyota dealership currently, so I can’t check. I’m not sure whether or not to keep it there or get it towed elsewhere since I don’t trust them. Does it make sense that this would be a HV battery issue?

4. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You took it to the Toyota dealer and they said no codes came up? Were the problem lights on when you took the car there, or had you disconnected the 12v battery to start the car and then drove there?

5. TucsonZoe86

TucsonZoe86 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I had to get it towed there since it wouldn’t go into drive. They said no codes came up and gave it back to me but it failed again yesterday and when they ran it again, they told me the hv battery was bad. I just don’t believe them since they’ve given me no reason to trust them.

6. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Did they do a diagnostic? If they did, and you paid for it, then they are obligated to give you a copy of the diagnostic report. That should have all trouble codes documented. Post a photo of it for us.

Sounds more like an HV isolation issue, which can occur in the battery if a module is leaking. If you disconnect the 12v battery for a minute or two and then hook it back up, will the car let you drive again?

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

how many miles on her? i would test the 12v again