1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Inverter Overheat

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by efusco, Jun 29, 2011.

1. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hello Evan, Hopefully the Dealership is taking care of both systems for you, draining, refilling and bleeding the engine coolant system is much more involved you know. The inverter system is easy. Keep your fluids full! ( on all your Prii ).

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I agree that the inverter coolant pump is a prime candidate for PM replacement since there's no advance warning when the pump is about to fail.

Since the engine coolant pump provides plenty of warning with regards to coolant leakage on the pump pulley, and it is not very hard to remove and replace the pump when replacement is required, I do not see the point of replacing that pump prior to visible signs of leakage becoming evident.

If the Prius engine design was like others where you have to replace timing belts periodically and the engine coolant pump is deep in the heart of the front of the engine, then it would make sense to replace the engine coolant pump as a preventive measure when the timing belts are changed, since the incremental cost of the coolant pump and associated labor is low.

3. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Question: Put forth by Sagebrush: What is the safe temperature to NOT cook a inverter." I have neither heard nor seen any parameters on the subject, so one must presume something not too far above ambient on a hot day. Which means the temps that Evan experienced were way above any safe zone. He can consider himself lucky that the inverter wasn't destroyed! Just recently there was a poster traveling West in Desert Highland, traveling 75-80 MPH up a mountain incline. Had not had the LSC yet. He was also lucky, but ended staying 2 nights in a local hotel awaiting the opening of the dealership. I initiated a posts specifically to warn people of the importance of good inverter pump operation, ie: full reservoir, turbulence and most specifically removing the air in the system by bleeding. This is what the whole LSC was about, air accumulation around one end of the pump. The pump cannot pump air! I am not sure the new pump is air tight, time will tell. Anyway, part of my future maint. checks will be bleeding the inverter system, ( MONTHLY ). :rockon:

4. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hi Andy. Power semiconductor devices, like the IGBT's in the inverter, typically have maximum "junction" temperatures in the range 125C to 150C (about 260F to 300F). This "junction" temperature is the hottest point right inside the actual device, so the heatsink must be considerably cooler than this to allow the heat to flow away from the device as per the design of the heatsink/cooling system.

The exact value of the maximum safe heatsink temperature (which is presumably where the inverter temperature is monitored) depends on the details of the heatsink design, but as a rule of thumb it would typically be around midway between the maximum ambient temperature and the maximum junction temperature (as listed above).

So going by this you'd expect the maximum safe inverter (heatsink) temperatures to be around 75C to 90C (about 165F to 195F). As I said, this is only a "rule of thumb", but I'd estimate that this is about the ball park where the inverter is going to start protecting itself.

1 person likes this.
  5. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The cooking remark was mine, not OP's, and was meant to be rhetorical. Isn't there a middle ground between catastrophic failure from overheating and long life ? Since I shoot for long ownership times, or would not care to be in a position of trying to sell a Prius that may have a shortened inverter life left, I would avoid driving the inverter hot if possible.

Patrick, I agree that the engine pump gives adequate warning that replacement is going to be needed. However, the cost and annoyance of exchanging the engine coolant leads me to package them together.

1 person likes this.
  6. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  7. Ryanpl

Ryanpl Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: Inverter temperature records

YEAH!! It's almost a Bob graphic :D

8. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Somewhere, in a land far far away a long long time ago I recall someone saying that the inverter was tested to tolerate peak temps of 225 (I think the info is back in one of the old grill blocking threads when we all first started doing that). So I felt fairly safe until we hit that 220 mark. At that point I shut down the AC, opened the windows and stopped using regen braking. I saw that peak up to 223 only for the briefest moment, but it did hover around 220F for a while....and I wasn't happy about it, but had 3 kids in the car and just couldn't pull off. Not a comfortable moment.

1 person likes this.
  9. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Uart: Thanks much for your reply and your research. I suspected the hardware was protected up to some extreme temp. So, if we use 20C as a normal ambient temp, 3X that or 60C might be a point of concern. Now......if I just knew what that is in F ???

10. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Andy,

google "60c in f"

1 person likes this.
  11. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    What I was referring to there is that Evan was not going to tackle the inverter pump himself ( as he was not sure if the LSC was accomplished before) So why tackle the engine loop himself if it includes exchange of SLLC and the very tricky filling and bleeding of the overflow tank. I remember at the time I did mine it took many engine runs and bleeding attempts to get all the air out. Now if Evan is only going to top it up......:confused:

12. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I was just kidding sagebrush. As long as we are dealing with 100/212 I can do it in my head. 9/5 of 100 + 32. and versa visa.

13. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Episode concluded:
    The dealership was awesome, I'm happy to say. The did what I asked and only what I asked, they did it way more promptly than I could have hoped. They replaced the pump, refilled the engine coolant reservoir (which I didn't know until I'd already paid $30 for a jug of SLL coolant).

They had the car closed up tight in the sun when I picked it up and it was 100F outside air temp. The inverter heated up as high as 143 during the initial part of my drive, so I thought maybe there was still something wrong, but even with the AC blasting the inverter dropped back down to ~120 very quickly and even the little spikes were quickly quelled. For reference, my battery temp got as high as 120F for a short while...it was really hot outside and the distances and style of driving would have pushed that inverter temp up to 220+ like it was yesterday when it was cooler.

I'm fixed, happy with the dealer and Toyota. let's hope it's another 108,000 miles before I get another CEL.

14. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    :thumb::thumb:It's always nice to get good news! Maybe you were still over seas at the time, but around the time we were hitting 100K miles we got a service bullitin that our '04's inverter pump was on recall. Sweet! ... We were always following Galaxy/DH's maintenance schedule when it came to changing fluids etc, so at 100k I was about to change the inverter coolant anyway ... so, we got two things, for the price of FREE ... coolant change AND a new pump ... whoo hoo!

15. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sorry for not reading though the thread but how are you reading (what means) the inverter temp?

16. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    See post #1

17. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My 2006 is part of the recall. I haven't found time to take it in. This thread is making me nervous.

Tom

18. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We were overseas when the letter came, but I had it snuggly packed in my glove box where I planned to pull it out next time I had a good reason to go to the service dept....which probably wouldn't have been for another 22k miles actually...This definately forced that issue.

19. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you can 1)monitor inverter temps, you can probably not be too nervous, esp. if your mileage is still fairly low (sub 100k), but at the first sign that the temps are starting to climb, if my experience is normal, you've got about 24-48 hours before it gives out completely.

2)if you want to wait for the master warning/CEL/VSC lights, that's up to you, but you'd best be prepared to stop within a couple of miles, shut down the AC, stop regen braking (ie. go into neutral before stops), etc and get your behind to the dealer very quickly.

The recall is very quick, they pay 1.2 hours, but I think most can do it faster. If you have an appt. you can probably get it done before you have time to finish reading the paper in the waiting room.

20. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Of course :doh: Thank you.