1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Inverter problem???

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by AsianDriver, Sep 2, 2019.

1. AsianDriver

AsianDriver New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My 2010 Prius been throwing code P0A80 and I bought another used battery pack and it does the same thing exactly the same way. I am in the process of rebuilding the one I just bought and is currently running with the original battery. Everytime it throw a code, I just erase it so I can continue to work. Now it's getting worst. There is rattling noise coming from the hood when the car about to move from stationary. It doesnt make any noise once its moving. I am feeling some stalling also after coming out of a stop. I bought a OBD2 scan tool and use the Torque app. I can't tell if I even have a bad cell. Now I'm thinking it might be my inverter even though its throwing code P0A80. How do I know when my inverter is bad??? Thank you

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Trouble codes specific to the inverter would normally be the giveaway.

3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, Torque app is not a good app for hyrbid cars... Dr. Prius App will give you most of the hybrid system subcodes... Whereas Torque app is just saying that a code has been logged that suggest there's sub codes that Torque app is too dumb to know how to read.

Have you load tested each module and built a spread sheet of the used pack you bought? Also do you have a way to charge up individual modules with a hobby / NiMH charger? Charging all the modules up to full charge and letting pack sit for a few days is another good way to find a bad module. And look for corrosion in the voltage sensing wires, that can create problems...

Grit likes this.
  4. AsianDriver

AsianDriver New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have an RC charger. I charged it ALL up together and discharged it. Did that 3 times. Then I check, all were balanced. Then I put it back together in series. And pop it back in the car. OMG they were all over the place!!!! Some have a HUGE variance as much as 1.5 volt!!!! How can this be, when they all were balanced to begin with while it wasn't put back togther????

5. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well... Sounds like it wasn't done charging yet... How many amps were you charging at? If you were charging the whole pack in parallel with a hobby charger at, say 4 amps, you'd only be providing about .14 amps per module, which means it's gonna take a really long time to charge everything up.

Also this method of wiring in parallel isn't very effective because your hobby charger is low power in relationship to amount of electrolyte you got fill up. It's like filling a bath tub up one beer mug at a time. You'll get there eventually...

And the part of the charging that balances all the voltages between modules / cells only happens at max charge where heat dissipates the fully charged cells while you wait for the lower charge modules to catch up... For Prius 2004-2015 that balancing phase happens at around 235-240volts, or in your case 8.39v to 8.57v.

Add to this the challenge that NiMH don't do good if they're over charged, which is why charging with NiMH algorithm is key. It's also why it's super essential to provide lots of fans/cooling to help dissipate all the heat.

Perhaps after a day or two of charging in parallel at about 8.60v you'll be all charged and balanced?

Hopefully someone on here will read thru my numbers and clarify here...

Main point being 350v trickle charging the whole pack in a series at under one amp with NiMH algorithm overnight will probably provide better balancing results.

More info here: ProlongĀ® Battery Charger User Guide