1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Inverter Pump and Code Reader will not connect

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by WM Flowers, Oct 2, 2019.

1. WM Flowers

WM Flowers New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello everyone,

I have a 2009 Gen 2 Prius with a little over 290,000 miles on it. The car was given to me with a bad hybrid battery. I replaced the hybrid and auxiliary as soon got it and everything worked great. That was about six months ago, now the check engine light is on and I know it is the O2 sensors from having the codes read when I first got it and I still get around 40 MPG.

Last week the red master caution light came on and the car has started acting weird. The A/C would stop blowing cold or cool, it is like it just stopped working, the headlights would go from normal to super bright almost like they were flashing and the electronic break light, ABS light, and parking break will come on intermittently. The car will surge like you are you are lightly pushing and releasing the gas pedal while going down the road and now no code reader will connect with the computer. All the problems happen after the car has been driven around 20 - 30 minuets. This is both normal code readers from local auto parts store and professional code readers from a shop.

I have been doing research and reading here on the forums and noticed that a bad inverter pump can cause most of the problems, like the A/C and the break lights coming on when they system over heats. I have not been able to find much on the cars computer in here.

My biggest question is would a bad inverter cause the computer not be able to connect to the reader or is computer going bad also.

I hope this makes sense and does not sound like ramblings.

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!

What is the code reader you're using, as not all are Toyota Hybrid compatible?

Have you checked if the inverter pump is functioning, try feeling for vibration or look for surface turbulence in the reservoir.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. WM Flowers

WM Flowers New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The reader I have is an old one and figured that it might not work. I work at a technical college that has auto repair classes and their reader could not connect either, they had it set to read codes from a 2009 Prius but would it just said could not connect.

I have checked the reservoir and and do not see any movement. I have a replacement pump on order.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Bring a portable digital multimeter with you on your next test drive. When you notice the headlights changing intensity, immediately stop the car, leave it READY, and measure voltage across the 12V battery, or across the dedicated positive jumpstart terminal located in the main relay/fuse box, to body ground. See what the voltage is as the lights are getting dimmer and brighter, and report.

5. WM Flowers

WM Flowers New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Will do, I do not see it too often as allmost all my driving is during the day.

6. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    He could also bring up the voltage on the MFD and not have to stop driving.

7. WM Flowers

WM Flowers New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good morning,

I swapped out the inverter pump and the next day the master caution light and all the other warning lights went off, except for the check engine light (I need to replace the O2 sensors). I have worked a few late nights and my headlights have been working normally and I have not had any problems with my AC either.

As for the car not communicating with any code readers, well that was my fault. I was not putting the car in the right power state. I was just hitting the power button once instead of twice, .