1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Inverter pump and water pump replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by PriusStephen, Apr 15, 2022.

1. PriusStephen

PriusStephen New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Got a P0A93 fault two days ago. Confirmed that the inverter pump needs replacing. Shop says water pump is also leaking and suggests replacing that as well.

Local shop wants $1100 all in. That seems on the high side to me but it's less than the dealership would charge. Most other shops won't give me a price without doing their own diagnostic test, which defeats the purpose of shopping around for a decent price. Parts are $350 or so, which seems a bit high but still sort of inbounds to me. It's the $650 labor that has me coming here to see if this is just a much harder job than I'm imagining.

Anyone have any experience with these two repairs?

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Both repairs are pretty straight forward, simple DIY.

Engine water pump is maybe a 4 difficulty level out of 10. Inverter water pump would be a 3 difficulty level. There are videos online for both of these repairs. Just need some simple tools.

As for parts price, Aisin makes the OEM water pump, around $44.78 on Amazon. You should get a new belt and some coolant. I think $120 all in for everything.

The inverter pump at the dealer is around $120ish. Add in coolant, all in for under $160.

So DIY would cost you less than $300 and can be done in about 2 hours

SFO likes this.
  3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Sometimes worth mentioning, in cases where we know a single manufacturer supplies parts to Toyota and to be sold on Amazon for $44.78, is that the manufacturer doesn't necessarily use coin flips to decide which parts rolling off the line go where.

4. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If you take a flashlight and look downward at the passenger side of the engine, you should be able to see the drive belt, the idler pulley and the water pump pulley. You should also be able to see the inner lip of the water pump drive pulley. If you have a small amount of pinkish crusty deposits, that means the seal on the water pump has a very, very, slow seep. I personally would not consider it an urgent job, just check coolant level every couple weeks or check that pulley view weekly to see if it changes. Keep in mind it may eventually become time to change it, or it may go years without changing. If you see damp pink deposits, the seep is a bit larger and probably warrants being replaced.