1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Inverter pump question

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Raphael Muscarelle, Jul 18, 2018.

1. Raphael Muscarelle

Raphael Muscarelle Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    2011 Toyota Prius 170,000 miles
    Ok I've been looking through the inverter pump threads.

Well my questions are.

What happens when the inverter pump fails?
    Is it safe to allow the pump to fail?
    Sugested maintenance if leave in original pump?
    Is there videos on it? Just would like to know if it's easier from top or bottom.

I am all geared up to replace it because I heard the inverter will overheat and fail if the pump fails. I have a pump and coolant ready to go sitting here. I'd rather not do the work at the moment if it's safe to allow the pump to fail then replace it. I'm not having any problems at the moment I just put a lot of miles on it use it for work

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    i think the car will go into limp mode, not the best thing on a highway. one member e=recently suggested a preemptive strike every 80,000 miles or so.

3. Raphael Muscarelle

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I just had a friend with earlier prius have pump short out. It stoped completely. He disconnected electric to pump and replaced fuse to get it off the road just like 200 ft.

bisco likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yeah, might be worth changing it.

5. Raphael Muscarelle

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ok answer is ah they really designed the inverter to come out to do this. AH WHO DOES WHAT THEY INTENDED. There is a bracket that all it does is hold 2 nuts from turning this is the difficulty on this job other wise it comes out from the bottom nicely. Except the mounting bracket needs to be bent in order to get the pump past everything. I left the 2 hoses on the pump disconnected from top and removed clamp to allow the hose to come out with out snagging. I advise anyone to take a picture on how these hoses are aligned because you will kink them putting them back in wrong orientation. Now this bracket that has these two nuts on it it is vertualy impossible to get back on once the pump is in place. SO ONCE It is past the obsticals I didn't put in place I put screws through to hold the bracket in place and glued it to the rubber mounts. Ha ha yeah. Wait till dry and continue.

6. Raphael Muscarelle

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Well I would like to share this osbservation. Ever since I had the car the a.c. unit has wined now this wouldn't seem connected but after I put new inverter pump in the a.c. is colder and wines a lot less. I am guessing it was drawing more energy then intended so the a.c. unit wasn't getting enough energy.

I would like to report an increase in mph which I have like 4 per mile highway but can't say it was just from that since I cleaned out the ERG system at the same time.

7. Tim Jones

Tim Jones Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    ----USA----
    The inverter can go out even if the pump is good. I know it happened to me......research inverter problems more.... could go out any day.
    Make sure you have the updated computer and inverter software or it won't be covered.

8. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What is typical life of the inverter coolant pump?

Raytheeagle likes this.
  9. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Lifetime for the Gen3 :rolleyes:.

My plan was to swap it out at 200 k miles when I do the inverter coolant loop change.

It’s a pricey little pump, but probably worth doing at some point(y).

m.wynn likes this.
  10. saxyartsy

saxyartsy New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Hi.
    I am buying a 2015 prius with 190k miles. I think i should replace the inverter pump
    and any doable maintenance.
    Can you send any detailed info how to get the pump out as I give up easily.
    You said bend the inverter bracket? Can you say more so I dont screw it up?
    also
    Besides the ERG -dont kno what that is, can you say other maintenance I should do?

Manny

11. Tim Jones

Tim Jones Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Save youself some BIG $ problems...... don't buy it................... that's the miles when everything goes wrong................

12. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    @Raphael Muscarelle hasn’t been here in some time, and managed to misspell the acronym EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation). For more information see first two links in my signature (on phone turn it landscape to see signature).

At 190k EGR components, including EGR passages in intake manifold, will have a lot of carbon build-up. Optimum is to clean every 50k, my opinion only. Toyota says nothing.

A heads up: having 190k and EGR (presumably) never cleaned, there’s a good chance the head gasket is letting go. Typically starts leaking coolant into combustion chambers at the wall between cylinders one and two.

I’d change both engine and inverter pumps soon, and the engine thermostat.

Tim Jones likes this.