1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Inverter Pump Replacement Sounds like it is straining

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by lopro, Nov 12, 2022.

1. lopro

lopro New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello

I got the code indicating inverter pump failure. I ordered a replacement and installed. I drained the coolant, replaced the drain plug, added new coolant and retightened bleeder valve, 2 press on to accessory mode. I hear the inverter pump motor sounding strained as if it is running dry. At first I saw some agitation in the coolant reservoir but now (in video) I see none. Does this spell clogged system?

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Did the coolant level go down for that inverter If it did fill it back up to where it's supposed to be and watch it again when it comes on it'll bleed all the air out and it'll stabilize you wanted to stabilize it the full mark

3. lopro

lopro New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  4. lopro

lopro New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The coolant was at full it did dip down a bit I topped it off again but the level did not recede further after 2nd topoff

5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Is it a Toyota pump? Hope so aftermarkets suck.

Does not sound good. Sounds like the pump is shorted. Did it stop making noise if so it has blown the AM2 fuse in the black fuse box under the hood.

Did you bleed the system?

You need to hook a clear hose to that bleeder valve and put the other end back in the reservoir under the fluid. Open the bleeder valve and run it topping the reservoir off as you go along till you see no more air bubbles trans versing the hose. Then you know it is air lock free.

This is a very easy bleed system.

6. lopro

lopro New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Its a "Toyota" part in that it is advertised as such. Could be counterfeit, purchased on eBay. Appears to be Toyota OEM.

My process was to drain the coolant, opening up the bleeder valve as it was draining with cap removed from reservoir. I then replaced the underbody coolant drain bolt, added coolant to fill mark, and then turned on car where I could see agitation in the reservoir. I added more coolant, bringing it back up to full (it had only dropped down maybe 1-2" below full). I then noticed the noise coming from the pump, and no more agitation in reservoir.

It hasn't stopped making noise I have only had it on for a minute or two. Didn't want to burn it out, sounded as if it were running dry to me.

7. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    To be honest usually the inverter pump doesn't really airlock because the pump can be on moving whatever's in the hose pretty much at any time so it doesn't tend to airlock I've never even used the bleeder sticking there in the front of the inverter to bleed the inverter system because the pump does it for you automatically All you have to do is fill the reservoir and put the car on. And when the pump seems to be running and you don't really see any agitation reach down and squeeze the hose or hose is on the pump and see if you feel the pump and coolant moving it's not really all that smartly. The pump I replaced the inverter pump with moves the water or coolant very smartly but I've never seen the pancake inverter pump really move the water very fast not even the pump I started out with when I got the car.

Gen2_Accel likes this.
  8. lopro

lopro New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I had the car on level ground the first time around with the eBay sourced pump for $75. I pulled the vehicle into my driveway after the work that lead people on here to question the integrity of the pump.

I had a business on eBay and Amazon and am aware of the insanely widespread fraud and counterfeits, so I quickly accepted that I had been sold a counterfeit pump. I went to the local Toyota dealership and forked over $175+ tax for the part. I compared packaging between the eBay sourced "genuine OEM" and the Toyota actual OEM. The counterfeit was very convincing, the only differences I noticed were... 1) different dimensions on box (OEM box smaller) 2) packaging tape on box of the counterfeit 3) bubblewrap(counterfeit) vs semi-transparent plastic wrap on the part itself 4) sticker does not have LOT ID on counterfeit 5) slightly bolder typeface on certain parts of OEM label

In terms of the pump itself, there were plastic "nibs" around the connector of the counterfeit, like those on a plastic model kit with a rectangular frame around the individual parts. I don't know the proper term for them. Manufacturing artifacts. And then the sound of it. The sound of the counterfeit is in the video previously linked. The sound of the OEM was at first disconcerting. I had swapped it for the counterfeit in my driveway, a moderately steep incline (the front higher than back). At first startup the sound from OEM pump was more varied and a deeper tone than the counterfeit. More stuff going on. The coolant level dropped more significantly than with counterfeit, I let it run for a while but it still sounded wrong. The next day I pulled the car out to the street finding everything to be sounding normal and the coolant to be low. I topped it off and attempted to bleed the system but it didn't seem to have any air. Car has been running great since then about 60 miles on it after clearing the code.

Beware of counterfeit parts even from "reputable" sources like Amazon.

9. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Your process is wrong.

Shut the car off.

Take the inverter coolant reservoir cap off.

Dump all the coolant by removing the dump bolt.

With dump bolt removed take a garden hose and stick it in the reservoir. Flush out the inverter loop the flow out of the dump hole should look exactly like the velocity of the flow in the reservoir. Depending on your hose pressure you may have to adjust the flow into the reservoir to achieve this without over flowing..

Shut hose off let it drain. Install dump bolt. Install Toyota LLC till reservoir is full. Turn on the car.

The level will drop a little continue topping off till steady.

With a clear hose attached to the bleeder valve put the hose end back into the reservoir under the fluid. Open the valve.

You will see alot of bubbles traverse the hose. Keep topping off the reservoir till no more bubbles. No bubbles close the bleed valve.
    Remove the hose put the cap back on the invert reservoir and drive away.

The next day before you start the car check the coolant level in the inverter reservoir. Top off if needed.

Check level every day for a while. Takes a while for it to settle in.

I have done this 3 times over its 15 year life no issuse very simple. OEM fact pump lasts about 60-70000 miles in my car.

If you bought a new "Toyota" pump on eBay and it was significantly cheaper than its online price of $100 + shipping then I can almost guarantee its a fake. Use Olathe Toyata parts online. There great and the real part.

10. Gen2_Accel

Gen2_Accel Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    ... Beware of counterfeit parts even from "reputable" sources like Amazon.[/QUOTE]

Are you measuring both inverter coolant temp's with a scanner or app? What are the F or C readings?
    De-pressurize the coolant tank via the cap to lower the inverter's solid-state switching temp's.

Tombukt2 likes this.
  11. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Are you measuring both inverter coolant temp's with a scanner or app? What are the F or C readings?
    De-pressurize the coolant tank via the cap to lower the inverter's solid-state switching temp's.[/QUOTE]
    In the Gen 2 with the knot factory pump moving the fluid even on the hottest day this past summer in the hundred neither of the two hoses coming from my inverter loop wherever warm enough for me to not hold on to for as long as I wanted to so I would say under 104° not even the temperature of my hot tub after a good run down the highway or what have you 30 minutes of driving in the 100° heat maybe a tad longer and neither of the hoses are warm enough that I have to let go of them so I figured that's quite reasonable before when the pump was failing and wasn't moving like it was supposed to 30 minutes under the same condition would yield about 140 or so something like that I could hold on to it but not for a real long time

12. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Correct

The inverter coolant when working at max performance is about 100 degrees cooler than engine coolant. Lives around 90 degrees.

But….on a G2 there is a huge heat soak issue when you shut the car since the engine coolant and inverter coolant are in the same box the rad there’s major heat soak so when you start the car back up the inverter coolant gas to get over that soak differential before it can cool the
    Inverter and trans.
    I have done a lot of thermal investigations on this loop and so has Toyota they saw that and fixed it in the G3 and beyond by making the inverter coolant and engine coolant in separate boxes. Much improved cooling and the g3 needs it with its much more powerful mgs and inverter.

Gen2_Accel likes this.