1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Inverter radiator leaking/replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Flaninacupboard, May 27, 2011.

1. Flaninacupboard

Flaninacupboard Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As per my earlier thread (http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...338-check-hybrid-system-inverter-coolant.html) , i had a leak of inverter coolant. The garage are now telling me the inverter coolant radiator is damaged (stone damage) and needs to be replaced at a cost of £289 ($474).

I'm struggling to see how this is possible, since as far as i know the inverter radiator sits behind the upper grille on Gen3. I also can't find anyone with a Gen3 needing a replacement radiator.

What are people's thoughts? are they trying to pull the wool over my eyes or am i really the first person on PChat to need a new one?

2. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm thinking you should get another opinion or at least get the dealer to show you the damage with the vehicle in situ.

Surely they'd put through a warranty claim if it was a faulty item.

3. Flaninacupboard

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well i guess that's true, they would make the same money saying it was faulty and doing it under warranty as they would charging me.

I will ask to see the damaged radiator, i am really curious how it could even happen, the upper grille is so tiny!

4. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I went out and looked at mine, as you said the slots in the upper grill are not very big. Unfortunately they line right up with the inverter radiator.

5. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You might have it checked out at a radiator shop. They may be able to weld it, or maybe even glue it with JB Weld or some such.

6. stefano5777

stefano5777 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Flan why would you have to pay for this problem if car is under warranty?

7. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If it is only around 400-500 bucks to get a new one why take a chance repairing the old one to save a few bucks? it cools the inverter a several thousand dollar part plut the $6,000+ trans axel.

8. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

"Stone damage" same reason why Toyota does not pay to fix hail damage, or a car accident.

9. Flaninacupboard

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah exactly, stone through the radiator is considered a "wear and tear" type of thing. Judging by the complete lack of anyone on here ever replacing one on a gen3 it can't really be described as a design fault.

I suppose i'm "lucky" in the sense i've never had to replace a radiator on any other car before now.

10. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yeah. A stone damaging something would be road hazard. It doesn't mean the part's defective, which is what warranties cover: defects in parts and/or workmanship/assembly.

11. stefano5777

stefano5777 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I understand that it is a wear and tear item but here in Florida the dealerships will do everything in there power to warranty these types of things while vehicle is under warranty. The more warranty work and sales they show the better it looks to the manufacturer.

12. Flaninacupboard

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well i have my car and the damaged rad back. took me a while to find the damage, it is that small. I am going to write to toyota corporate to see if they can offer a gesture of good will, since there are several other impacts on the radiator, i think the grille may be angled incorrectly allowing too much debris through at high speed. I'll upload pics in a bit.

13. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Several impacts? Do you have a monkey banging around inside the drive compartment? or are any of the underbody panels missing?

14. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It sounds strange to me. I've done 48k miles and the front of my car (bumper and bonnet/hood) is peppered with stone chips - and I mean peppered.

15. Flaninacupboard

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Finally got round to uploading these pics, as you can see the damage is tiny, and there are similar sized impacts all over the place. I'm sending these to Toyota HQ to ask for some cash back.

Attached Files:

16. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No Your dealers/ workers make less when it is a warranty repair. They make more money when it is not. And toyota would not be happy about them turning in Stone damage as warranty work. The dealer does have to turn in parts prove it needed to be done. Sorry but dealers can't be great in FL were they are stealerships in the other states.

If it made Toyota happy to do more repairs the owners manual would also say this....

All stone/rock roadway damage to the car is fully covered for 100k no questions asked.

17. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Wish you luck, but should you have to pay, a radiator shop can fix that easily. A additional screen might prevent future damage.

18. Surviving3Daughters

Surviving3Daughters New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    This is becoming a standard answer so Toyota doesn't have pay for these. I just left my dealership with a quote of $865 for a replacement. And I cannot even see any damage! The car has 38K miles on it. Also, something else to think about is: how many radiators have you had to replace in your lifetime due to "rock" damage? Doesn't add up to me.

These new radiators are made of plastic and some type of light weight metal (aluminum). Plastic does not hold up well. I've had to replace radiators on my BMW's because the plastic cracks but usually that's not until over 100K miles. Although I did have one replaced at around 75K miles under the CPO warranty. Glad they didn't try to claim "rock" damage. Good luck to all! I have a claim into Toyota about this. I told them I did not agree with the claim that a "rock" hit it. I'll update when I get a response.

19. Deni Niethammer

Deni Niethammer New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    My 2013 Prius had a coolant leak over a week ago and had to be towed to the dealer. They said a rock hit the inverter radiator and the unit has to be replaced. They quoted me $738.16 to fix the problem. I'm concerned how a rock can cause this kind of damage and also concerned about how well the radiator is made. The dealer suggested I call Toyota Corporate and ask for help. After waiting 8 days, they informed me they would not help or cover the cost of repair. So I googled this problem and found that it seems to be more common than I thought. I would like to hear from others who are having the same issue with this. I have not had a chance to look at the part yet, but will when I get it fixed.

20. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I don't understand. There's rock damage to the inverter radiator? Why would this be a warranty item? And the charge doesn't seem that much out of line.