1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Inverter Repair

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Classicalme, Jan 1, 2020.

1. Classicalme

Classicalme Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Two days before Christmas, my Prius went into “Limp Home Mode” while I was driving to visit family. No shop was open, no body would tow it is I left it in the bank parking lot I’d limped into and got a ride the remaining 200 miles to visit family.

I got it towed to a shop two days after Christmas in my town and it got sent to a trusted shop. Inverter Repair needed.

2013 Prius three, 149,700 miles, regular maintenance done, first issue I’ve had with the car (besides bad brakes). I’m finding out the repair can be VERY costly and my warranty may not cover it.

Anybody else ever been in this boat? What did this repair run you? Did anyone ever get it covered by Toyota? Is it a manageable repair with a second hand part for a non-hybrid mechanic to do? I’m desperate to get any answers. I’m a teacher on winter break but go back on Monday and my 110mile commute isn’t going to be doable if I don’t have a car!

2. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Do you know the diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) that your mechanic used to determine that the inverter with converter assembly, or one of its parts, was faulty?
    Depending on the problem, you may be able to have repairs made at no cost by a Toyota dealer, as part of Safety Recall J0V, discussed extensively on PriusChat.

Raytheeagle and Mendel Leisk like this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The latest inverter recall was to prevent the dead-in-the-water scenario? There was also an earlier one: mine from Toyota Canada is dated March 2014, with the id "SOSH-230-1A". @Classicalme do you know if that recall was done?

IMG_1767.JPG

In either event, dealership should be able to check on that.

4. Classicalme

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don’t know the code. They are closed today and I haven’t had much of a chance to get ahold of them. I’m following up on it tomorrow. Definitely concerned my warranty won’t cover it so hopefully Toyota does!

J1050 and Mendel Leisk like this.
  5. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You should check your warranty documentation to see if it says in fine print covers “inverter” manufacture defect. If so, you won the inverter lotto.

6. Tim Jones

Tim Jones Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    ----USA----
    You have a free inveter replacement coming from Toyota. Hopefully it had the firmware updated.....
    They are supposed to tow it and give you a loaner car. Keep towing receipt and they are supposed to reimburse you. Call dealer and have it towed to their location. They might charge you for diagnosis but will refund or not charge for that when it is established it's the inverter.

#6 Tim Jones, Jan 1, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
  7. Elektroingenieur

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    In the Toyota Warranty Policy and Procedures Manual (available by subscription to techinfo.toyota.com), see Policy 4.7, California Emission Warranty, under the heading “Partial Zero Emission Vehicle (PZEV) Emission Warranty Coverage,” where Toyota writes (emphasis in original):

“Under the California Emission Warranty, performance coverage for any repair required to correct a defect in materials or workmanship of any part that causes the Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) to illuminate or results in a failed Inspection/Maintenance (I/M) test is 15 years or 150,000 miles from the vehicle’s in-service date, whichever occurs first, except for the Hybrid Battery which is warranted for 10 years or 150,000 miles from the vehicle’s in-service date, whichever occurs first. Vehicles subject to abuse, neglect, improper maintenance or unapproved modifications are ineligible for this warranty coverage.”​

Not all hybrid system DTCs cause the MIL (“Check Engine” light) to come on; see the Diagnostic Trouble Code Chart pages in the Repair Manual for details. Also, for later readers, note that this coverage applies to Prius cars for model years 2004–2017 only; for 2018 and later, only Prius Prime cars are covered.

J1050 likes this.
  8. Classicalme

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I bought the car used with 36k miles. The history report didn’t show anything of work being done for a repair. I’m going to contact my mechanic and talk to him about it tomorrow.

9. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    First see if Toyota covers it under warranty. If you live in a CARB state, you might have coverage to 150,000 miles... and you’re a miraculous 300 miles inside of that. If Toyota covers it, you’ll need to have a dealership do the work.

10. Tim Jones

Tim Jones Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    ----USA----
    The inveter warranty is 15 years regardless of miles. I know....mine blew....with 196,000.

pjksr02 likes this.
  11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    IIRC there is one part, the "Integrated Power Module, or IPM", inside the inverter case, that Toyota is claiming to not be part of the inverter? Just food for thought.

IPM Extended Warranty (Canada?) | PriusChat

Tim Jones likes this.
  12. elementnomore

elementnomore Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Getting back on topic. 2012 at 81,292 car wouldn't start, dead in garage. All lights on dashboard were lit up. All software recalls had been done at various dealers. Dealer found following “P3004 with info #800 following TSB#0036-16 repair procedure. Remove and replace inverter “IPM” clear and reset hybrid system” Car how has 98,xxx and runs great. This was done under warranty. I hope that helps. Download pic and rotate or turn your head.

Attached Files:

pjksr02 likes this.
  13. Classicalme

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I got the codes from the mechanic. It was disheartening as he read them out to me to write down!

C1259, C1310, POA7A, P324E, P0A94, P0A1A, B278C

14. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    C1259 and C1310 are both familiar off the top of my head; they're just codes that are set in certain ECUs to say "hey, such-and-such other ECU told me there was a problem." So they aren't telling you about anything the primary codes aren't.

The rest are not codes I've committed to memory, so one of us would have to look in the repair manual for their meanings.

In general, you don't always have to be disheartened when you pull up n different codes; it rarely means your car is suffering from n different problems. What you're getting is often n different perspectives on one or two problems, and when you look up the different "detection conditions" in the manual and consider them together (picture a Venn diagram), they are often a gift that will help you focus your troubleshooting more than just one or two codes would.

Tande likes this.
  15. Elektroingenieur

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Three of these DTCs—P0A94, P324E, and P0A1A—are among those stored in situations for which Toyota will cover the cost of repair parts and labor, in some cases, under Safety Recall J0V or Warranty Enhancement Program ZE3, regardless of mileage. If the Check Engine light came on, there is also 300 miles of emissions performance warranty coverage remaining, as I described in post #7.

Considering these Toyota programs and warranty coverage, I’d suggest bringing the car to a Toyota dealer (on a tow truck, if necessary), where it might be able to be repaired at no cost to you, rather then having an independent mechanic, however skilled or trustworthy, continue diagnosis. It’s also important that the DTCs now stored in the car not be cleared, since the dealer may need to record them for a warranty claim.

If the problem is one Toyota wouldn’t cover, such as wiring damaged by rodents, you’d have to pay the dealer’s diagnostic fee, but I imagine your mechanic may have already checked for visible signs of that, loose electrical connectors, and similar obvious causes.

16. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Eh what, sounds like a job for Rotation Man:

upload_2020-1-7_10-48-3.png

17. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    When I was a kid, the number of superheroes seemed more manageable somehow.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  18. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Chuck Patterson Toyota is a certified collision repair center, they can help you.