1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Inverter water pump failure, and now better fuel economy?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by SW03ES, Jul 25, 2010.

1. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The MPG on ours is settling down, so I think you were probably right Patrick

2. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    To answer my own question, it appears that there definitely something to "Rebooting" the Prius computer systems. After getting no higher than 44-45mpg for SIX months; which I blamed the new tires for, I just took a 30 mile round trip, w/ AC on and MFD now shows 51.6! Still a little early to make an assumption, I will wait until next fill-up and report back then.

3. rjghah

rjghah New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This discussion has gone from power inverter pump failure to mileage. However, I would like to share my experience: After getting warning lights, took to dealer immediately and was told the pump AND inverter had failed...absolutely no warning, then $6K repair! I contacted an independent repairer who said I should try to get Toyota (or Motor Imports, in Hawaii--an entity independent of Toyota and a regional monopoly) to comp the part and I could pay for the labor. Why? Because there is no way to know that this part is going to fail. I have a 2002 Prius (just a few months out of the 8-yr warranty) and 65K miles. There is nothing in the manual that says to check it periodically, but there IS a Toyota Service Bulletin saying this part often fails, as well as numerous internet posts on various sites about it failing at either 60K or 100K miles, pretty regularly. The TSB extends the drive train warranty to 60K miles or six years, whichever comes first. So why, when I had my car serviced at 60K did they not check for this part....because you can't tell if it's going to fail.

I am seriously considering starting a class action suit re this issue.

P.s. Oh yeah,when I got the car back after the $6K repair, the AC no longer worked. I thought they had forgotten to hook it up (since they had the entire electrical system apart), but no, they said "it's a mechanical part, and mechanical parts fail all the time without warning"--the same line they gave me about the power inverter. Do you think I have a case?

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. I'm surprised you authorized the $6K repair since the car's market value probably isn't much more than that.

2. As a more cost-effective alternative you could potentially have purchased a salvage inverter (from a US mainland source, look on eBay Motors) and had an independent install it. I encourage you to consider that the next time your car has a significant failure (if you decide to continue repairing it vs. towing to the local salvage yard.)

3. The inverter pump does not provide a warning before it fails. One day it works, the next day it doesn't. When your car was serviced at 60K miles, if there were no warning lights on then there would be no reason for the tech to "check" the pump.

4. The Classic air conditioner compressor is spun by the serpentine drive belt, so if that was the failed component in the AC system, then it is true that failure had nothing to do with the inverter failure.

5. When the warning lights came on, how many more miles did you drive the car prior to its repair? If you did not immediately stop and have the car towed, then Servco Pacific could make a reasonable case that the inverter's failure was due to the driver not making a reasonable effort to minimize damage to the hybrid system.

5. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Correct on all counts.

In any event, the car is almost 9 years old. Class action suit? Nothing lasts forever.

Do you have a case? No.

On the mileage issue...the mileage is definitely better now overall, 5k miles since the replacement we're solidly getting high 40s low 50s. Previously we had never gotten over 47mpg.

6. rjghah

rjghah New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    1. I did authorize the repair because I cannot afford to buy another car and I have owned Toyotas since high school and they have always lasted at least 100,000 miles. I thought there would be a couple of years of useful life after this very expensive repair. Also, I think the Blue Book was around $10K.

2. How realistic is it to think a mature woman who knows little about car repair would know to buy a salvage part or, even more unbelievable, find someone to install it in Hawaii. Remember, Motor Imports has a lock on most all Toyota repairs and indoctrinates you from day one to always use their dealer-authorized service, lest there be dire consequences. (voided warranty, but in this case I was already 3 months out).

3. Toyota/Motor Imports had received a TSB on this part and, you would think, should have informed Prius owners of this potential problem. Had I known it would ultimately result in over $10K of repairs (story to follow), I would definitely have said, forget it.

5. I live two blocks from the service center and took it in immediately.

6. The rest of the story.... After inverter replaced ($5500 after "discount", took 2 months, no loaner) and AC repaired ($1500, 3 weeks, no loaner), one week of driving before warning lights again. Second replacement of inverter pump (no charge, took 1.5 months, loaner after 2 weeks), did not even drive it off the lot before lights on again. It has now been 3+ weeks, with loaner, current diagnosis is needs new hybrid battery ($2500). I have been without my car now for over 6 months and it is still not repaired. At one point the rep said they thought maybe the computer was faulty. How likely is it that the computer was throwing faulty codes from way back in August and it never needed a new power inverter to begin with? How would I be expected to know this, or be able to verify the need for any of the repairs done so far?

7. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm very sorry to hear that you still don't have a satisfactory resolution to your car's problems. It's certainly understandable that you would be upset by the events that you described.

According to kbb.com, the trade-in value of a 2002 Prius located in Honolulu in good condition and with 65K miles is $5,575.
    2002 Toyota Prius - Trade In Value, blue book value - Kelley Blue Book

You could not be expected to know whether the dealer tech's diagnosis was good or bad. However if you had posted your problem and the DTC (diagnostic trouble codes) logged by your car in this forum last October, we would have given you advice regarding whether the failed inverter diagnosis made technical sense and whether it made economic sense to repair your car or not. It is possible that the inverter was fine and that the only required action would be to replace the inverter coolant pump.

Did you try to drive the car after the inverter had cooled down? If the car could become READY when the inverter was cold, that would be evidence that the coolant pump was the only part that needed to be replaced.

If you tell us the DTC that your car has logged now, we can comment on the need for a new traction battery.

What will happen now? Do you intend to authorize these latest repairs?

Your story is another example why I suggest that owners of older Prius who have to depend upon dealer service should tow the car to the salvage yard after the first major non-warranted failure occurs rather than pour $$$$ into the car.

8. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Blue book on a 2002 Prius is nowhere near $10k, as Patrick said. This was a very poor decision IMHO...I hurt for you. They saw you coming and rammed you right up the pooper...if you can afford $6k out of pocket...you can afford a new car.

Unfortunately you're kind of stuck now that you've spent the money...I hope they can get it rectified for you so you can get some kind of value out of what you've spent.

As to the question how can you be expected to know these things? Ask. Lots of resources...like this site...find someone to look at it and give you a second opinion. I mean...$6k is an absolutely incredible amount of money to repair anything...let alone a car...and let alone a 9 year old one at that.

9. bigfatdad

bigfatdad New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    "The inverter water pump had failed, but the inverter was fine....

You may or may not remember, I have always thought something was wrong with our Prius because we never really got the mileage others were getting. 46MPG was the absolute top end even when being very careful. Since the repair, the mileage has been MUCH better. For the first time ever we are getting over 50 MPG, and we can now hear the fan running in the back for the battery packs which we NEVER heard before.

Any ideas?[/QUOTE]"

My experience: After my electric water pump was replaced under the recall my mileage went from 45 mpg to about 30 mpg. Part of this might be due to new tires and cold snowy weather (CT !) but I have never seen such a drastic drop in performance (2005 Prius). Has anybody else had this experience?