1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Inverter water pump not working? 210K miles

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by kobear18, Aug 27, 2018.

1. kobear18

kobear18 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My 2010 Prius don't have that whine sound coming from the inverter and there is no turbulent in the inverter reservoir. I have not really felt vibration from the in/out let tubes yet. Its got 210K miles on it. I got it used 82k miles on it in 2014 from last owner who lives in South CA where there is hot weather. I doubt s/he changed the pump ever. Do you think the inverter water pump not working? I got a mobile mechanic to change my spark plugs and he think the pump is not pumping base on no whine sound, no turbulent, no vibration. However, there is no codes, no engine lights on at the moment though. He used some device to scan it but no codes were found. I live in San Francisco so temperature is usually cooler and I usually do short trips here and there around here. Maybe it has to hit certain temperature before the pump start working?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    definitely

3. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If you live in San Francisco, take it to a shop called Luscious Garage. They are Prius super-wizards. The absolute best. They’ll go over your car and you will know anything that’s wrong with it. I can’t recommend them highly enough.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  4. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Welcome to Prius Chat (y).

Some questions:
    • You put 130 k miles on your 2010 in 4 years and you only drive short distances?
    • Did the mobile mechanic try to put a mechanics war (or something equivalent) for his diagnosis?
    • Have you felt the hoses to see if you can feel the pump working?
    • Have you taken the Prius in a long run and do any codes display?
    • Any history of damage or accidents to your Prius?
    Good luck and keep us posted (y).

5. kobear18

kobear18 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    1. many short trips like Uber and Lyft.
    2. I don't know what that device is and yellow and black like a TI calculator but I think the techstream will do the same
    3. I feel both hoses have small vibration so I think its working. I did many searches on the inverter water pump but very few on gen 3 prius maybe its not a common problem so I now won't assume mine don't work. I may need to go to luscious garage to ask for advice
    4. ya I just drove to san diego recently. Besides short trips around town, I do road trips sometimes.
    5. nothing major I know of.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sounds right