1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Inverter Water Pump Valve

Discussion in 'Toyota Prius Service Bulletins - TSBs' started by ToyotaGal, Mar 2, 2021.

1. ToyotaGal

ToyotaGal Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all,

As you all know I recently replaced the inverter pump. I did not know there was a valve and after watching a video, it was suggested that when changing the pump, you might as well do the vale as well.

I called the parts dept at the dealership. They did verify there is a pump there and it does go bad often. They said they keep a lot of valves in stock. I asked if the valve was changed as part of the pump recall and I was told no. I was told if the valve goes bad, I would throw a code. He said if I wanted to do preventative maintenance then change it otherwise wait for a code.

Questions

Should I have changed the valve when I changed the pump? what are signs the valve is going bad?
    I did look at the repair receipts I had and the services done with the dealership. The pump was replaced at 86k and I just changed it at 172k. It does not look like the valve has ever been replaced.

TIA

Linda

PS the car is running / driving like new.

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It's easy to get mixed up here. The coolant control valve you're thinking of is physically near the inverter, but it is part of the engine cooling system. Nothing to do with the inverter; the two cooling systems are completely separate.

The inverter just has its one pump. No valve.

The engine has its belt-driven water pump, two electric ones, and a control valve.

2004priusgal likes this.
  3. ToyotaGal

ToyotaGal Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The video said it was 3 way and when the engine got hot it would switch to the other side.

So I am taking that the valve should not be changed.

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You also have a giant thermos under the left fender.

The valve's job is to make sure the thermos is kept full of hot fluid when the engine is running and after shutdown.

Then when you go to start the engine cold, that whir you hear for a few seconds before the engine starts is hot coolant from the thermos being pumped into the engine to jump-start its temperature.

There can be problems with the valve, but if you don't have any codes about it and it isn't sounding like an agitating washing machine, it's probably ok for now.

ToyotaGal likes this.