1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1. Michael Hammer

Michael Hammer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have purchased a new pump from ebay , Toyota Prius Inverter Pump | eBay
    But the one I took off looks completely different did they update the part I noticed its a different part number too but says it fits a second gen Prius .
    007.JPG

2. Mylar

Mylar Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    You have two different inverter pumps. The long one attaches to the canister in the drivers side wheel well. The round one is located behind the left head light.

3. Michael Hammer

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Okay that makes sense the one I ordered is behind the drivers headlight . My Prius has 170K miles is it wise to change the pump underneath the invertor while I have it out or do they last forever I`m sure its the original one . I don`t see a new price for these however but see numerous ones that I already ordered .

4. Mylar

Mylar Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    I've changed both within the last few yrs. The long one is the one you hear when you turn off the car. Mine started to make noise, the replacement is much quieter.

5. kammssss

kammssss Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would change it. Mine lasted 177k. I got 270k on my car now. It is the one behind the headlight. I haven't changed the canister one.

6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The eBay listing is for the correct inverter coolant pump, which is located behind the driver's headlight assembly and in front of the main relay/fuse box. However based upon the photos I would say that listing is for a used pump, mounted on a shiny metal bracket from a new pump, and placed into the box that the new pump came in. It is a waste of time to install a used pump with who knows how many miles logged on it.

Your photo in the OP is for some other pump, not the inverter coolant pump. Where did that pump come from?

Please provide a photo that shows its location in the engine compartment. What did you have to remove to get to that pump?

#6 Patrick Wong, Jul 15, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2014
  7. Michael Hammer

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I`m changing my brake actuator so my invertor is out . Its located directly to the right of the brake actuator and figured since I have it out I may as well change it . The bracket that its located on needs to be removed to replace the actuator itself . Also your right its not an invertor pump its the heater water pump .

Patrick Wong likes this.
  8. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the info. So this coolant pump is mounted on the firewall?

There aren't many reports of this particular pump failing; however there are occasional posts from people complaining their cabin heater is not working very well. An engine coolant valve failure is one reason for this. I think that this pump may also be a reason occasionally.

9. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Totally agree. It looks like the guy probably replaced his inverter pump with a new one, knowing that they're prone to failure. He then slaps the old one onto the new bracket and into the new OEM packaging, then throws it on ebay when it should have been thrown in the bin. It's a shame that many people do crap like that on ebay.

BTW. I think the other pump is the heat recovery canister pump isn't it?

10. Michael Hammer

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes on that used pump one feedback was neutral and said no comment now I see why they are so cheap :(

11. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This could also be the work of a Toyota Tech, bringing home stuff that should be thrown into a bin. It's probably a working recalled pump that was taken out of a car, put on Ebay as "working used unit".