1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Investing in Toyota

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by brad34695, Aug 1, 2007.

1. brad34695

brad34695 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I am a rookie in "playing" the stock market, but I am a proud Prius owner and I can't help but read in the news how Toyota is gaining ground on the "Big 3" and how Toyota has surpassed GM in car sales. (Unless I am mistaken) So for those of you who invest in the market, do you think it's a good buy?

I checked out their investors page (http://www.toyota.co.jp/en/ir/stock/outline.html) and I see the graphic of steady yearly rise in the worth of their stock. Also being a Prius owner, I think it would be cool to invest in the company who I believe makes the world's greatest car. Any thoughts???

Brad
    Tampa Bay Florida

2. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Temper your enthusiasm.
    "rookie in "playing" the stock market" rarely meet their own expectations and almost always underperform relative to the market.

Don't forget that hybrids are a small % of Toyota's sales. They still lose money as the oil prices hit records and people have less desire to go out and buy a car.

If I WERE to invest my own $ in the market right now, I'd look to Lithium, nickel, and silicon producers/mining.
    And companies that sell to the military.
    (hedges your bets).

3. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darwood @ Aug 1 2007, 04:31 PM) [snapback]488872[/snapback]</div>
    Good advice.
    ROC is the monopoly for lithium in the US.

WFR was the virtual monopoly for polysilicon in the US, but in the last year more players have come on board.

Nickel is too abundant a resource. Can you really make a ton of money on nickel?

4. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Aug 1 2007, 06:41 PM) [snapback]488912[/snapback]</div>
    If one knows what one is doing, a ton of money can be made on just about anything. IMO invest in things everyone needs or will buy. FWIW here's my list:

Utility companies that service customers. Americans will not live without electricity and water.

Oil companies. ExxonMobil, Shell, BP... Americans won't reduce total oil consumption anytime soon.

The US and your State. Tax free income and the government doesn't run out of money. If the Federal government defaults on its debt your money won't be worth anything anyway.

Now for the smart a$$ answer. Yes you can make a ton of money on nickel. The US Mint does every day.