1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Invisble bra for car in Manassas, VA

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Subversive, Apr 27, 2006.

1. Subversive

Subversive New Member

I'm going to be going down to Manassas, VA, in order to pick up my new Prius, and then I will drive it back to Massachusetts, and I am strongly considering getting the 3M "Invisible Bra" Paint Protection Film put on the car. Would it make sense to do that immediately upon receipt of the car rather than after I bring it up to Massachusetts (I'm thinking it might) and if so, can anyone recommend a good installer for this in the greater Manassas area?

2. sunnysandiegan

sunnysandiegan New Member

I picked up my new Prius on a Thursday evening and had the 3M film applied on Saturday morning. I had only driven it 20 miles or less (combined highway & surface streets) and it already had a small chip in the paint on the lower front bumper. So, yes, I highly recommend having the 3M film applied before driving the car that far.

Congrats on your new Prius!!! :D

3. Subversive

Subversive New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sunnysandiegan @ Apr 27 2006, 06:29 PM) [snapback]246325[/snapback]</div>
    Do you think it would be worthwhile to purchase a (non-invisible) bra to put on the car at the dealership just for the purpose of taking to the invisible bra place (assuming I can find one), and then reselling it later on? Do you think I can get one that fits a 2006 model (with fog lights) in like say one week?

4. Subversive

Subversive New Member

OK, 3M yielded a result. Has anyone used this person?

The Auto-Cycle Spa - Certified Installer
    Certified Installer(s): John Heavener
    Manassas, VA 20112

5. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

Yes, it would. I bought mine 200 miles away and got 3 stone nicks on the hood, near the emblem, on the way home.

Here's some detective work for you. On the "official" Toyota black vinyl bra, some dealers thought as recently as last month that the '05 version fits the '06. IT DOESN'T. They made one small change just in back of the front bumper (on the car) that took away one of the hooking points.

Last I knew, they still hadn't manufactured and started selling a revised bra. Go to toyotapart.com, which sells them for $112 instead of $159, get their phone # and call them to see if the new one is out yet (should be any day, if not yet). In my experience, that dealer gets new Toyota accessories as fast or faster than most others. It's in MI.

You may not want to spend that much just to temporarily protect the front, though it's not a bad idea. If you're lucky, you can get the clear bra scheduled right after you pick the car up.

If the new vinyl bra is available and you pay $112 + shipping, you can probably sell it here for, oh, at least $85 if it's undamaged.

6. offersk

offersk Junior Member

If you have the clear bra installed in VA, have it done at a place that has a national warranty so that if you have any problems or need to have a piece re-installed, that can be done in MA. I had to have a piece re-installed twice.

7. Subversive

Subversive New Member

Or maybe I should just have the car towed from the dealership in a flatbed to some nearby invisible bar installer. Then the car would be completely protected.

8. Subversive

Subversive New Member

I'm also a little concerned about how long it will take to get the paint protection film applied to the car. Will they need the whole day? Will I be able to get the car from the dealership over to the paint protection film applicators early enough in the day? Will I have to stay over an extra night/day to get this done?

If I was able to get the physical bra that fits the 2006 car, is that (not guaranteed but) likely to take care of the problem for my 400+ mile trip home to Massachusetts, so that I could have the film applied someplace local (assuming I can find someone local)?

9. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Subversive @ Apr 28 2006, 03:20 PM) [snapback]246876[/snapback]</div>

Yes, easily.

Oops, don't know how to make the colored text work, either.

10. Subversive

Subversive New Member

Ok then, can anyone tell me if PT218-47050, which is described as the 2005-2006 Prius Bra (as opposed to PT218-47040, which is described at the 2004 Prius Bra), will fit the 2006 car? I'm guessing not. So far I haven't had any luck getting thru on the phone to toyotapart.com , but I will try again....