1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ioniq - lifetime battery warranty

Discussion in 'Hyundai/Kia/Genesis Hybrids and EVs' started by farmecologist, Feb 10, 2017.

1. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    Hi all,

Just received an email from Hyundai stating that the USA Ioniq will have a lifetime battery warranty to the original owner :

"
    [​IMG]
    Imagine yourself with no worries and miles of peace of mind. Hyundai is the only manufacturer offering a Lifetime Battery Warranty on its hybrid vehicles, including the new IONIQ.
    "

This is news to me...has anyone else seen this?

This news certainly makes me even more interested in this car! Hyundai isn't messing around.

dalcon95 and Aaron Vitolins like this.
  2. Aaron Vitolins

Aaron Vitolins Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hyundai hybrids have always had lifetime battery warranty. Hyundais are fantastic!

3. Moving Right Along

Moving Right Along Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Given the average car on the road is 11.5 years old, Hyundai must feel confident their batteries can last that long without mileage concerns. Hopefully other manufacturers will pick up on that. Currently, most car manufacturers have standardized on Toyota's 8 year/100,000 mile battery warranty with only a few tweaks.

Edit: just looked at the specifics, and there are a couple caveats. First, the "lifetime" battery warranty ONLY applies to people who buy the car new. For subsequent owners, the warranty expires after 10 years or 100,000 miles. And second, it only applies to personal vehicles. Commercial vehicles, including taxis, are specifically excluded.

#3 Moving Right Along, Feb 10, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
    Data Daedalus likes this.
  4. Samprocat

Samprocat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Don't let this make you believe that they have better battery than anyone else......
    I'm not in power to speak loud ....
    Here is what I will say....
    You will trade competition for lifetime battery....
    And you will be exploring unknown water's.....with short Hyundai R&D with hybrid technology....
    Make vise decision with your

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

dalcon95 and thatoneraccoon like this.
  5. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Hyundai had the lifetime battery warranty on the Sonata hybrid, and that car is already a year or so into its second generation.

The 8yr/100k mile warranty isn't a Toyota thing. It is the federally mandated emission system warranty on all ICE cars. The hybrid battery has been rules part of the emission system.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the 10 year warranty marketing worked well for hyundai, as did the 'we will buy your car back if you lose your job' program. if nothing else, they're creative. some people will find it comforting, but i suspect it will rise or fall on all the merits.

7. afob3

afob3 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Not surprised its for the original owner only. Their 10/100k mile power train warranty has always been for original owner too. Subsequent owners get balance of 5/60k miles from in-service date.

I was checking out the Ionic site two nights ago. This Prius is the first non Hyundai I have had since 2001. They make good cars. The style of the Gen 4 has me curious of other options too.

8. farmecologist

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    Yes we have two Hyundai vehicles and they have been great. I find it odd that many folks still give them a bad rap...In fact, I still see many old sonatas on the road and they look like they are in very good shape.

As far as the battery goes...I guess I expected to be met with some skepticism. This is PriusChat after all! However, if you plan on keeping the car for a long time as the original owner, I can't see how anyone can complain about the lifetime battery warranty...but they do.

I'm particularly interested in the plug-in ioniq. I do really like the Prime but the 'raised floor' of the trunk area just looks really half-assed to me. I did a bit of research, and it appears that Hyundai packaged the larger battery much better. However, I will withhold judgement until we see 'real' pictures of it. Plus, a lifetime battery warranty on a plug-in seems like a very big deal!

Another reason I'm looking at alternatives is because we got bit by the 2010 Prius 'oil burn' issue that quite a few of us have run into. This has kind of turned me off a bit on Toyota. Any company that admits to potential major oil burn in their owners manual is frankly a bit suspect. I have never seen this in the manual of any other vehicle I have owned ( mostly Mazda and Hyundai ). Nor have I had major oil burn with any other vehicle ( and we have a 2004 Mazda MPV with 170K miles ).

Ok rant off...by the way, I'm well aware of the sonata lifetime battery warranty. However, I swear I read that the ioniq would only get a 10 year battery warranty. Maybe the 10 year is for non-USA vehicles?

Anyway, that's my story of why I'm looking at the ioniq. :D

9. Aaron Vitolins

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Great rant! I'm a HUGE Toyota guy, and I totally agree with you on everything. I can't stand a vehicle that burns oil. I am hoping/praying my 2012 v wagon doesn't start burning oil. I change the oil every 5k with the highest quality synthetic oil I can buy. I will be very sad and disappointed if it starts randomly burning oil. I will probably want to get rid of it honestly. My vehicle has 100k right now, and only burns the slightest amount of oil.

If I have money at the time (if that happens) hopefully I can buy a used ionic plug in hybrid.

10. soldierguy

soldierguy Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I can see a lifetime warranty appealing to someone who puts a lot of miles on cars...like me. With my job, I'm putting on about 230 miles per day for the commute to and from work. Throw in the occasional day off and/or vacation time, and I'm looking at 55,000-60,000 miles per year.

A lifetime battery warranty is something I'd jump on in a heartbeat, if it's around when it's time to replace my Prius.

11. farmecologist

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    Just a FYI - but the Sonata hybrid has always had a 'lifetime battery to the original owner' warranty. Hyundai is basically extending that program to the Ioniq.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i saw a beautiful sonata in the parking lot here yesterday. very attractive sedan with the prettiest blue paint job. really much better looking than accord and camry, to these eyes.

13. farmecologist

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    Yes..I really like Hyundai's design language too. Our 2012 looks pretty much exactly like this...except ours is not the turbo model.

https://goo.gl/images/SRicMY

I should note that the car is HUGE. For the most part it is a full-sized car. Rear passengers have a ton of room and the trunk is cavernous.

Interesting thought now that we are discussion the Sonata. I have seen quite a few Sonata Hybrids around here lately. I do know that they have some really great deals on them...so maybe that's why?

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    probably, great deals on almost all fuel efficient cars these days.

15. tonycd

tonycd Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    One thing that needs to be understood about warranties is that they aren't assurance of a reliable car, they're basically a disguised price cut. Your warranty doesn't keep you from getting stranded by the roadside, it merely promises to pay the repair bill. Carmakers project this cost over their entire fleet of that car model, taking into account the expected failure rate and its cost per failure, and bake that number into their profit calculations when they set the upfront price.

The "original owner" part of Hyundai's battery warranty is a very meaningful part of that calculation. Hyundai is well aware that very few first owners keep their car beyond 8-10 years, so they'll have very little exposure they weren't required by law to have anyway.

The other part that has to be mentioned is the widespread reports that Hyundai/Kia has failed to honor its warranty more often than most other carmakers. Even items you'd think were no-brainers reportedly often become "exceptions" they refuse to cover.

The short version: A warranty is good and can save you significant cost. But if your goal is to buy a reliable vehicle, the best way to achieve it is to buy the most mechanically reliable vehicle.

farmecologist and bisco like this.
  16. farmecologist

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    I totally agree...However, I'd also argue that Toyota has had more that it's fair share of warranty obligations that were not honored.

I think we all agree here that that the Hyundai battery warranty is mostly a marketing move. However, the fact of the matter is that the average-joe buyer is swayed by these warranties. In fact, the famous (or infamous..depending on your perspective) Hyundai 10-year warranty is how they got their foot in the door with many buyers...including myself ( we own two Hyundai vehicles..not hybrids ). They have both been super reliable and we have never had to use the warranty. In fact, we have never even had them to the dealer since we purchased them! ( knock on wood )...

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm not aware of toyota not honoring warranty obligations. nor hyudai for that matter, isn't it required by law?

agree on the marketing, hyundai has been very creative, and it gives people peace of mind. it's probably the main factor in holding down hybrid sales, after gas prices.

#17 bisco, Feb 22, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
  18. Aaron Vitolins

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    More so dealers I'd say, than actual Toyota. My Toyota dealer told me the hybrid battery fan wasn't coverd under the 8 year 100k mile hybrid system warranty...

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    and was it?

i suppose it could be the hyundai dealers as well. sometimes there is ambiguity in written warranties. no reason for dealers to deny coverage if mfg is willing to pay, but i don't discount ignorance.

20. Aaron Vitolins

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I got the $500 something bill paid for. I called Toyota USA and told them the story. They called the dealership and got everything taken care of. Still don't know if it was actually a part of the 8/100k warranty or not. I just didn't have to pay. I told them "how on earth is the hybrid battery fan not a part of the hybrid system! It's one of the most important parts in the whole system!!!"

bisco likes this.