1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

iOS13 CarPlay

Discussion in 'Prime Audio, Electronics, and Infotainment' started by tillyvick14, Sep 21, 2019.

1. tillyvick14

tillyvick14 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    The iOS13 release this week provided a good upgrade to CarPlay like the new dashboard view, cover art, etc.

One issue I am having so far is that the maps navigation command volume does not seem to be able to be adjusted independent of the music volume the way it can on most cars. Has anyone else encountered this and found a solution?

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There's a setting in Google Maps that has "Softer", "Normal" and "Louder" for voice guidance. Could that help?

3. tillyvick14

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Unfortunately that doesn’t seem to help. It makes the volume louder but if your music via Apple Music is turned up it will still drown out the navigation voice. On other cars you have to wait until the navigation voice is speaking and increase the volume as the navigation voice and music have separate volume level controls. On our Prius Prime there seems to only be one volume level which is not useful.

4. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    In ios12, the voice guidance volume is part of the navigation app settings (Apple Maps/google/waze etc) not phone settings. I haven’t upgraded so I don’t know if it’s the same in 13.

5. Michael-dvc

Michael-dvc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Toyota isn’t supporting to lower the volume of the music when Apple navigation is on. There’s another thread about this.

6. tillyvick14

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Can you link to the other thread? Sorry I haven’t been able to find it by searching the forum.

7. Travis64

Travis64 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Can someone make video of how apple carplay looks on the prime?

8. TommyTech

TommyTech New Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I was expecting this behavior as well. I wish it worked that way. :-/

You can change the navigation voice volume, though, by doing the following:

Choose "Menu" => "Settings" => "Voice", then set the Voice Volume, from 1-7 (or none) I think the default is 4, which is too loud for my taste. I set it to 2.

On your iPhone, in the settings app, under "Maps" => "Driving & Navigation" => "Navigation Voice Volume", if you set it to Normal or Loud, then the audio from your iPhone should drop when navigation comes on.

Note: if the audio is coming from the car, e.g. AM/FM/Sat Radio, then the audio volume does not drop when CarPlay navigation kicks in.

pghyndman likes this.