1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

iOttie Easy Flex 2 phone holder

Discussion in 'Prius v Audio and Electronics' started by Offline, Apr 6, 2013.

1. Offline

Offline Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    To say the least, I've been disappointed that I have not been able to find what I consider an acceptable cell phone cradle mounting solution for my wife's Prius v. There is no way I'm going to block an HVAC vent or interfere with its operation with a cell phone holder and I was very disappointed with the poorly conceived Kuda leather phone consoles for the Prius v.

For now, the iOttie Easy Flex 2 seems to be the best option. It's suction mount seems to grip the shelf in front of and to the right of the instrument cluster extremely well - actually very difficult to pry off once it is ratcheted into place. For now, my wife's iPhone charging cable is held in place by the upper glove box lid which is rarely opened. I regard this as a temporary solution until I come up with a more elegant solution that includes a real charging cradle with an antenna connection.

The iOttie is available from Amazon and maybe from other companies but I purchased it direct from iOttie
    It seems to be of decent quality but only time will tell.

At least this solution makes the phone convenient for streaming Internet audio not available though Entune.

Attached Files:

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    looks good!(y)

3. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Try the ProClip Left solution[​IMG]?

4. Offline

Offline Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    With the limitations of the Prius v dash design, the ProClip door pillar bracket may be one of the better commercially available phone mount solutions since it doesn't interfere with an HVAC vent. But I particularly dislike how it's spring clip does not hug the pillar - looks sloppy and does not integrate well with the car. And I want the phone holder in a more traditional location near the radio controls - important for controlling Internet audio streaming applications from the phone screen with same hand used for the radio/nav unit.

If only the Prius v glove boxe design was more like the standard Prius sedan - the Kuda leather console mount for the regular Prius (see attached photo) puts the phone in what I consider an ideal position.

I've installed some pretty sophisticated phone systems and charging cradles in numerous vehicles and the Prius v is turning out to be the most difficult to get right. I've on my third phone solution in my 2000 Lexus sedan due to technology changing over the years - the charging cradle mounting system/location (it is on a leather Kuda console) shown in the other attached photo is more like what I was aiming for in my wife's Prius v. And by the way, that inexpensive Garmin in the Lexus works far better and is easier to use than the ATP nav in the Prius v.

Attached Files:

SusanCnett likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's pretty sweet for the hatchback, never saw it before. how does the phone attach?

6. Offline

Offline Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    A cradle or holder must be attached to a Kuda console - usually with screw bolts, washers and nuts. One sometimes has to get inventive. I've got a treasure-trove of phone system installation parts from decades of doing these kind of projects so I usually have parts I can adapt. If not, I buy parts on eBay or from Pro.Fit which is my favorite bracket company.

Kuda consoles are formed from thin metal (deformable in a crash for safety) and covered with nicely stitched leather. It is easy to drill holes in a Kuda console to attach a phone cradle or holder and there is space inside a Kuda to hide phone system cables so that cables can be hidden as they are routed into the dash through a seam where two trim panels meet. The interior of the Kuda in my Lexus is large enough to hide/hold the traffic receiver for my Garmin GPS.

Kuda quality is quite nice - hard to tell it wasn't installed at the factory. It has held up well - the Kuda in my Lexus is nearly 10 years old and I can't see any wear on it.

A number of companies sell phone charging cradles. I bought the Samsung charging cradle for my Samsung Galaxy S III phone for only $17.50 at my local AT&T store but I had to get a little inventive to attach it to the Kuda.

7. nicknacc

nicknacc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    III
    This is probably too late. But check out the steelie car mount. Mine is in the mail, and the idea is simple and genius.