1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

IPAD does not charge thru USB?

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by rioe, Aug 24, 2012.

1. rioe

rioe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I have no problem charging my iPhone thru the USB, but when I connect my IPAD 2 it does not like to charge it and instead starts to use it as a music player. Any ideas if it is possible to have it charge the battery instead?

2. rcf@eventide.com

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If you're seeing a message saying "Not Charging" on the iPad, it may simply be a lie. The iPad takes more current than a normal USB connection can provide, and will whine if it doesn't get what it's looking for. Nonetheless, it may be charging, albeit at a slow rate. Despite Apple's highly praised "design," silly things like showing "Not Charging" when it is, and the lack of the date on the otherwise spacious status line make me nuts.* You can tell if it's charging by noting the charge level before plugging it in and after removing it.

Richard

* (Some will take issue with the word "make" in this sentence. No argument from me.)

3. crebble

crebble Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The USB plug on the C provides USB standard 500 mA of current. Your iPad requires 2000 mA (2A)to charge and operate at the same time. If it's asleep, it will likely charge on the C USB port, but at a greatly reduced rate. You need a 12V adapter with a 2.1A USB port. They are fairly common. I got this one on Amazon for $15 or so.

Amazon.com: Scosche reVIVE II Dual USB Car Charger for iPad: Electronics

Attached Files: