1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

iPad vs "the rest"

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by pakitt, Feb 9, 2011.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  2. ProximalSuns

ProximalSuns Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Probably take the reviewer's lead off caveat at face value.

He was just cranky. Some hardware developer friends brought one of the Windows 8 tablets to breakfast a while ago. It was really cool and being full Windows operating system, I can replace my Windows laptop with Windows 8 tablet and sell my iPad.

3. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Wait, I'm confused. Was it cool, or did it run on the Windows OS?

4. ProximalSuns

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Your first sentence is correct.

5. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    A surface tablet, or a tablet from another manufacturer?

6. Stev0

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I just looked at the keynote announcement and it can't be any good. For one thing, the guy presenting it wasn't wearing a black turtleneck.

7. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    That's because he's dead

8. Stev0

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That never stopped anyone from Microsoft before.

9. ProximalSuns

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Don't know. It had no markings on it. It was running Windows 8 in native and Metro mode. The twin thumb keypads at each corner so you can hold and type was really nice. I don't see why iPad can't imitate that unless it is one of those copyrighted "look/feel" issues. In which case, Microsoft got a jump on Apple.

10. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    On the flip side, this guy is totally gushing over what was announced. :confused:
    Microsoft Surface Just Made the MacBook Air and the iPad Look Obsolete

Time will tell whether it's a success or it's a dud that gets discontinued. MS is up against very tough competitors. Just look at home much share iPad has (along w/its ecosystem of apps and accessories) vs. all the rest. It seems that the Kindle Fire is #2 ($199 makes it very enticing) and everyone else is fighting for the remaining scraps.

11. cproaudio

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    USB-OTG on portable devices.

USB-OTG cable is nothing more than a male MicroUSB to female USB adapter. Advantage of USB-OTG is its compatibility of wide variety of USB devices that's not specifically designed for the host device.

mojo likes this.
  12. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Just what I always wanted... a way to hook a full sized keyboard up to my smart phone! Quick someone go make me a pair of pants with a pocket large enough for the keyboard, I can't go anywhere without it now!

Even better... I can use a playstation controller to play games on a 4 inch screen. Man, what will they think of next?
    /sarcasm

Seriously though... It seems like the trend they're trying to address here is using a smart phone as a regular computer. Hint: It's a phone. If you want a computer, get a computer already!

13. ProximalSuns

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    IPad sales would tend to put that into a minority view.

14. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    an iPad is not a phone... There's a few inches of display real estate difference between the two, and it does make a big difference, depending on what you're doing.

I use my iPhone, iPad, and laptop all very differently, for the items they're best for. For example, I tend to use my iPad more for watching movies than any of the other devices. My phone is used as a phone and for listening to music mostly, although I do hit the internet on it while I'm out occasionally, mostly to check scores and standings for baseball/football. My laptop is used the same way computers always have been used, for a wide variety of things. Intense gaming, coding, internet shopping, etc. Some of that can be done with the iPad almost as easily, given the similar size of the screen... doing it on a phone screen is just a pain.

Stev0 likes this.
  15. Stev0

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The way Americans are getting, soon they'll be able to fit an iPad in their pockets.

16. cproaudio

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    USB-OTG is found mostly on tablets and rarely on smartphones genius. Even the iPad supports it if you get the right adapter. Are you being this sarcastic because I didn't use iPad as USB-OTG demo video? I apologize for posting a well demoed USB-OTG that happened to use an android device instead of an ios device. You are more than welcome to post or find your own iPad USB-OTG video.
    You might not need it but a photographers might need it to read their SD or CF card. Students might need it to type their term paper. A frequent traveler might need it to store videos to view where there's no wireless signal available. Lets face it, 3GB/mo data or unlimited data that get throttled at 3GB and 5GB of cloud storage is a joke. Just because you don't need doesn't mean you represent the mass.
    Smartphones and tablets are advancing in terms of technology and capability. If you're not happy with the way new features are coming out of none ios devices stay with Apple. Wait a few years, it'll come to Apple eventually. By then, it'll be played out. Someone else will have the next big thing and Apple will still be stuck at a 2 year old technology.
    If you want to just make calls why buy an iphone? just get a Pantech Breeze III. If you want to watch movies why buy an ipad? get a portable DVD player for $100. Besides, not everyone can buy ipads. Apple Store In Georgia Refuses To Sell iPad, iPhone To Farsi-Speaking Customer, Citing Company Policy

17. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Well, mr genius, I was replying to the video link you posted, which highlighted its use on a phone... Is it really that surprising that someone would find its use with a phone ridiculous?

If you re-read my post, you'll notice that I don't mention any brand... just looking at its use on a phone. I could care less which brand you demo a technology on, so long as its actually something useful for that brand.
    Because it's so hard for a photographer to take a small laptop like a Macbook Air with them (which has an integrated SD slot). Do you really imagine that a professional photographer is using a tablet to touch up their photos? I know a few, and I've never seen it happen. Do you really think a student these days won't have a regular computer? Why type a term paper on a tablet?

And just because you want it doesn't mean you represent the mass. A majority of use for your average person is going to be where they spend most of their time - at home or at work, both of which likely have available wifi. I know I use my data plan on my phone more than any of my friends, and 3BG/month really isn't that bad. Visit websites, use social apps, upload pictures and videos, stream stuff from youtube... it doesn't add up that quickly since every usage is relatively small. I'm not pulling down 1GB movies over my cell data plan... After all, who would want to watch a movie on such a small screen? It's nice if you need to unexpectedly kill some time, but I don't really want the eye strain or the loss of detail on such a small screen.
    Right... that's why Apple led the industry with a retina display, right? Or with a successful touch screen phone? You're right, Apple doesn't innovate with their technology at all

You're taking my post too literally. I was giving examples of areas where each device performs better than the others. It's not everything you use them before.

18. Stev0

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Give it up. He's the Ultimate Anti-Apple Cheerleader. I'm quite happy with my iPad, iPhone, iMac, and iPods (Nano for exercising, Classic for road trips). If he's happy with his 486 running Microsoft Bob, I'm happy that he's happy. Ignore his incomprehension of "You kids with your Giga-whatzits and Micro-doodads! When I was your age..."

19. TxMan

TxMan Hearse driver

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have one of these for work.

[​IMG]
    Panasonic Toughbook H2 - Core i5 1.7 GHz - 320 GB HDD / 7200 rpm - 10.1 in 1024 x 768 - 4 GB RAM - Magnesium alloy

and (had) an HTC evo as a phone (turns out they aren't waterproof)

the toughbook is, as reflected by the price, professional grade. it is in another league than the ipad, android tablets, and whatever else there is. it is a professional tool, not a consumer electronic.

it was upgraded to linux (lol windows) and has all of my bluetooth and wireless stuff for work, its great-I just pull up, flick on the bluetooth, a list of engines come up, I hit "run codes: all" and I get a list of everything wrong with every engine on site, without even leaving the leather and AC of my car.

unless there are older engines, in which case I have to hand-diagnose them, which is still fun. then I fix everything, make a log of what I did on the tablet, and go to the next rig.

EDIT: my co worker had an ipad that he was using for the same job. turned out to be worthless. no battery life, connectivity was no where near far enough, plus it was more delicate than fine china, he opened his car door and it fell out...this killed it. if I had a dime for every time I dropped this toughbook from that height or higher, I could almost buy one for myself. he also had like 4 iphones, every time I saw it the screen was broken..he eventually did what I did and bought an evo...its just a more business-grade phone, and is much more durable...

20. cproaudio

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Respect to the H2, the ToughBook one not the Hummer one, even though it looks like lunch box. I bet that thing can take a beating. I'd have no complaints if that thing can run OSX or iOS.

I'm not anti-Apple. I don't think I've ever talk smack about their MacBooks or PowerMacs or their AppleTV. If anything, it would be their lack of support for Bluray. But then it can be installed afterwards. I'm anti lack of expendable memory and user replaceable battery. You should hear how much schit I talk about the HTC One X in person despite it being one of the top Android phones available. It's worst than the iPhone. The day Apple makes an iPhone with 4.5+" screen with built in expandable memory and user replaceable battery, I'm all over it. I could probably tolerate iOS. It's learning curve. It's the lack of hardware features that I can't tolerate. You can jailbrake the iphone and get the software to do pretty close to what you want. How are you gonna hack the iphone to accept a microSD card without it looking like it has a tumor growing out of its nice person? If Apple can slap the iOS on the Galaxy S III, I'd buy it in a heart beat. I know iOS has proven itself to be a worthy competitor in the mobile operating systems. It's the hardware that it runs on that needs overhaul.