1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

iPhone 4S Thread

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by zenMachine, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    And don't forget the stages of actually owning an Apple product.

1 person likes this.
  2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Haha! I'd seen that comic numerous time before but it totally slipped my mind as a reply to this thread.

On a side note, an acquaintance of mine posted an unrelated comic from The Oatmeal to FB, to which one of her friends responded w/how much he hated The Oatmeal along with this: http://unfunnythings.tumblr.com/post/1312737586/theoatmeal (NSFW due to language). Ha! I like The Oatmeal but also found the errr... critique funny too.

1 person likes this.
  3. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    iphone fanboys and enthusiasts are lucky that the iphone hardware only gets refreshed once a year. Step over to Android and those stages get shorten from 1 year to 1 month. LG Thrill, the best 3D phone was released in September, and Galaxy S II, the best current Android phone Just got released a few days ago. Nexus Prime with the newest version of Android is coming soon. For those with fat fingers or wanting a tablet in your pocket, Galaxy Note is coming Q1 2012. Bench tests have already shown it's faster than Galaxy S II. Can't wait.

4. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Wow. I've always known that Android hardware evolution is faster and heard that joke that one almost doesn't want to buy an Android phone because a better one will be out in 3 months.

With the 4S, obviously that 1 year cycle has gone a bit longer, this time. It'll be interesting to see when iPhone 5 comes out and whether the 4 will become the "free" w/contract phone.

5. cproaudio

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    If you could design and build the next iPhone what would you include?

6. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    AT&T is nasty. My mother got their long-distance plan based on their promises about rates. They in fact charged her quite a bit more than they had promised. (She made a lot of long-distance calls for her business.) So she called to cancel the service, and they refused to accept her cancellation. They kept trying to talk her into giving it more time. After a long phone call of repeating that she wanted to cancel, and them saying Please try this or that, she told them Cancel it! and hung up. They kept charging her. I don't remember what she finally had to do, but it was a major pain in the nice person.

I would NEVER subscribe to AT&T! The AT&T monopoly was why I never even considered an iPhone until Verizon finally got it. And then I realized that with a dumb phone and an iPod I didn't need an iPhone.

7. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Ripped from Dear Maggie:

In theory, this means you could buy an iPhone 4S, use it on Verizon for a couple of years and then use it on Sprint's network or AT&T's network later. But unfortunately, that only works in the theoretical world. Wireless carriers will do all they can to maintain control of you as a customer and to ensure that you only use a device bought for their network on their network. That's why they each put software locks on all their devices to ensure that you can't buy a phone from one carrier, quit that service, and use it on another carrier's network.

This means that when Apple begins selling devices on Friday, the Verizon iPhone 4S will only operate on Verizon. And the Sprint iPhone 4S will only work on Sprint. AT&T's iPhone 4S will only be used for AT&T.

Apple and AT&T are selling unlocked versions of the iPhone, but the unlocked version only works with AT&T or another GSM carrier, such as T-Mobile USA or overseas GSM carriers. The phone won't have the software lock. This means that the SIM card, which is used on every GSM device to provide network access, can be popped out and replaced with another carrier's network SIM card.

But keep in mind if you buy an unlocked iPhone 4S, T-Mobile and AT&T use different frequencies to deliver 3G and HSPA+ services. So if you use the iPhone 4S on T-Mobile, it will only operate on a 2.5G network.

Since CDMA phones used on Sprint's and Verizon's networks do not have SIM cards, they are much more difficult to unlock and swap for use on other networks. To unlock and switch service on a Verizon or Sprint CDMA phone, you'd have to get a software unlock code from the carrier to unlock the device. And then you would have to ask the carrier on whose network you wish to use, to activate service on that network for your iPhone 4S.

It wouldn't be impossible to do this. And there have been instances where someone has used an unlocked CDMA phone from one carrier and activated it on another CDMA network. But it's not common. Because the iPhone is such a popular device, it's very unlikely that either Verizon or Sprint would allow customers to unlock and/or activate these iPhones on their networks.

Of course, I am sure that someone will figure out how to provide unlock codes and software for people wishing to circumvent the carriers. But this is not likely something that will be easy or accessible for average consumers. My colleague Kent German, section editor at CNET Reviews, said this process would likely involve several steps. He also pointed out that unlocking a phone is not the same as "jailbreaking" a device. And the software used for "jailbreaking," which basically allows you to download apps that aren't approved by Apple and are not in the official Apple App store, won't necessarily unlock the device.

The bottom line is this: Even though the iPhone 4S is technically identical on all three carriers, don't buy one from one carrier and expect to take your phone to a competing carrier if you get fed up with their service. It won't be something that can be done easily. And you probably won't get much help or support from either carrier.

http://m.cnet.com/Article.rbml?nid=20118319&cid=null&bcid=&bid=-266

8. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thanks to iPhone 4S Reviews: "Best iPhone Yet", Great Camera, Siri is "Straight Out of Science Fiction" - Mac Rumors, the Macworld review has a video w/pretty long Siri demo. I tried some of it on the Siri app that I have on my iPhone 4 (got it >1 year ago) and some if works and some doesn't. I was surprised that Yoda-speak worked as that never occurred to me.

There's some pretty funny stuff you can try saying which he didn't cover like:
    "Where can I get drunk?" or
    "I'm drunk" - which books you a taxi

Unfortunately, from the verbiage in the Siri app (now pulled from the App Store), it looks the app will stop working on October 15th.

The microphone button on the keyboard is nothing new to Android users. They've had it since Android 2.x.

Side note: I wonder if Sprint iPhone 4S to be SIM Unlocked, Verizon After 60 Days - Mac Rumors will make AT&T change their minds to about giving unlock codes to their iPhone users or will they be still up to their stupid/evil ways.

9. zenMachine

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Good news for shutterbugs: the volume Up button is now also the shutter release button. At long last!

As someone who likes to take lots of pictures, I can't tell you how many times In the past I have cursed Apple designers for not implementing such a no-brainer.

I was also hoping Siri would allow me to turn Airplane Mode on and off. Looks like that will have to wait. Would be extremely ironic to learn that Siri could not turn on Bluetooth for hands-free operations, wouldn't it? :D

10. cproaudio

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    old news. the vol up button has been remapped to shutter release since the announcement of iOS5 back in June

11. zenMachine

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Yes, but only today is it a reality.

12. zenMachine

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Sprint won't sell iPhone 4S with unlocked micro-SIM card slot

On Tuesday, Macworld reported that the iPhone 4S would be sold with its microSIM slot unlocked. In theory, this means that the iPhone 4S would be able to use prepaid SIM cards on networks outside the US so customers wouldn’t have to pay for international roaming. Macworld said this would be the case for the Verizon iPhone 4S as well, after customers had had the phone and been in good standing after 60 days.

However, while Sprint will now support international roaming on GSM networks with the appropriate monthly plan, the company will not be selling the phone unlocked for use with international microSIMs. Ars asked Michelle Mermelstein, a Sprint wireless device public relations representative, to confirm that the Sprint iPhone 4S would not work with international microSIMs. “That is correct,” Mermelstein said. “I believe Verizon’s device works the same way.”

13. zenMachine

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The future (in 1987) is now! (almost, anyway)

14. cproaudio

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    iOS5 betas have been available since June with this function. To me that's available since June. Doesn't matter if it's beta or final. I was running WM6.5.3 without stylus for almost a year before its official release and it wasn't even released for my device. Yet, all the hardware functions and all the new WM6.5.3 functions work on my device. Unlike the iOS5, the Siri only works on the 4S and not the 4 even though both will run iOS5.
    Also this goes to show how locked down the iPhone is. If it was any other platform such as Android or Windows Mobile, or even Symbian the buttons would've been remapped by its users since day one. The HTC Tilt and the Tilt2 are push to talk phones from AT&T. Since AT&T's PTT is dead, the PTT button can be remapped to pretty much whatever its user wants. Also for Apple to use the vol up as shutter release seems kinda halfassed and ghetto. It's so not Apple's philosophy. Buttons are your friends, Apple, put them to good use. I hate how all the new phones are doing away with Call and End buttons. IT'S A FREAKING PHONE, make it work like a phone. If the user don't want the Call and End function make it so it can be remapped to someone else like Windows Mobile. If the Call button is on the right on your device and you're used to the Call button on the left from your previous phone remap them switched.

15. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    ^^

1. You != everybody else
    2. iOS5 is not WM
    3. On conventional phones you pick up the receiver, and put it down. One switch

Get off your high horse already. And for all I care, keep on using WM.

16. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    iOS betas are not made available to the general public by Apple, only to those who are registered, authorized iOS developers. Getting them thru unofficial channels while not a registered developer is likely in violation of Apple's EULA. Using the betas is also living on the bleeding edge as it can be be sometimes difficult or impossible to downgrade iOS versions...

As for WM, unfortunately, switching out the firmware rev that it shipped with to unauthorized ones not provided by your OEM or carrier is also most likely a violation of the WM EULA. Will MS come after you or others that do it? Probably not...

17. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Let Me Help You With That.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Happy?

18. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    He wants hardware buttons for call and end whereas it seems the smartphone industry has been moving away from them. They've mostly (completely?) disappeared on Android phones whereas early ones had them.

Supposedly, Steve Jobs doesn't like buttons, so it's not surprising that there aren't many on iPhones. But, some/most (?) of that minimalism likely comes from Jony Ives.

19. zenMachine

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    My wife has had iOS5 beta for a while on her iPad2, so she's quite familiar with its features. Of course the official version released today marks the first time these features are available to the general public (or at least to those who were successful installing it).

The most intriguing aspect of all, IMO, is iCloud and the 5GB of free storage, now that Mobile Me is history. It'll be interesting to see whether this will be the game changer many in the computer industry are predicting.

As for the 4S, early benchmark tests show that it is indeed quite a lot faster than the 4 but by design not as fast as the iPad2. Can't wait to test it out myself.

20. cproaudio

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Read the freaking OP, it states discuss "its strengths and weaknesses" You think a thread like this won't have people flaming the iphone? Are we suppose to post nothing but praises? Open your eyes and see what others are doing with their platform. If a dinosaur OS like WM can doing something as simple as remapping keys, why hasn't Apple implement it until now? And why is it that only Apple can remap the keys with a major OS update and not the user? Are we suppose to take whatever Apple feed us? So a feature is worthless unless Apple implement it into the iPOS? So free WiFi tethering without jailbreaking is junk and worthless unless it's on the stock iPhone? Are we suppose to use that shitty keyboard that Apple give us? Are LTE, NFC, 3D, and microsdxc insignificant because it's not on the iPhone? Your 64GB iPhone 4S will cost you $400. My 72GB Thrill will only cost $250. Why don't you get off your high horse and see what others are doing. Google is taking the best of every platform and adding them into their Android OS. That's why Android is dominating almost half of all the new smartphones purchases in the world while iOS is only at around a quarter. Android is growing faster than iOS because people realize that if they want a platform with no restrictions, Android is the way to go.
    iCloud is nice but because it's remote storage, iOS5 will incur more data usage than any other platform that don't use cloud storage and clog up the high speed data network. Also not everyone has unlimited data plan.
    iPhone is pretty useless unless it's jailbroken. Android's extremely customizable straight out of the box without rooting. Root it and CWMR it and you can install pretty much any ROM cooked for that device. WM may be dead but at least it's extremely hackable straight off the shelf without hardSPL or superCID. Imagine an extremely light jailbroken iOS with the features, programs and settings you want without any of the junk you don't. Ohh wait, you can't. Apple won't let you cook your own iOS.
    Don't take it personal. I'm still cranky about no iphone 5. That's why the rant.

BTW, to the OP, if you want a real lens on your iphone look no further than
    [​IMG]
    Now you can use your $10,000 Canon 600 F4L