1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

iPhone 4S Thread

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by zenMachine, Oct 9, 2011.

1. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    That's one funny way to use the phone camera. I have no need for that though.

I just want something good enough to replace my point-and-shoot when I roam around, and a good enough HD video cam to record my kids' activities and concerts.

Looks like the 4S can fit the bill pretty nicely. We'll soon see.

2. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I wouldn't use cellphone cameras to replace a decent point and shoot like the Canon S95. I'd only use the camera on my phone as a last resort if I don't have my camera with me. If you look at many facebook pictures, you can tell which pictures are taken with a cellphone and which pictures are taking with good cameras. The 4S supposedly have a decent camera. Don't ruin the shot by adding more lens. Many of the older phones have camera lens on the battery covers that makes the camera take poor pictures until you remove the lens on the battery cover. The only reason why you would want to add any kind of lens to a cellphone camera is to be able to optically zoom in or take macro pictures. Other wise, additional lens will degrade the picture quality. Even the iphoneDSLR adapter resulted in poorer picture quality than without the DSLR lens.
    Is this more of what you're looking for? iPhone Lens Review: 12x Zoom, Macro, Fish Eye Lenses From USB Fever | Gear Diary
    BTW if you haven't visited the iOS page in wikipedia, you should check it out. It lists almost all the newly added/enhanced features on the iOS5.

3. zenMachine

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    My current Point-n-shoot is a rugged waterproof model used mainly for hiking, water sporting etc. That need won't disappear. But its video is crappy. I've been looking at several HD-capable p&s cameras, but the way the new 4S camera is designed, looks like I won't need to spend money on multiple new devices now.

Again, I don't expect or need professional grade photos or videos. I just want something convenient but good enough, that I can have with me all the time (like a phone) to capture those unexpected moments and preserve some sweet memories for me and my kids. It looks like Apple has improved the 4S camera much more significantly than I thought.

http://iphone.appleinsider.com/arti...e_4s_and_its_8mp_camera_s_is_for_shutter.html

4. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I just checked UPS tracking online, I live in L.A., which is about 20 miles from Ontario CA, which is the origin point of the Iphone shipments, currently as of 5:10 PDST Thursday my phone is sitting in Louisville KY.
    Yeah like the lube, and I have a serious doubt I will see the phone on Friday as promised. :eek:

This happened once before, somehow they shipped a package with a L.A. address on it and delivered it to a guy in a NYC office tower. Then UPS had the balls to say "We don't see a problem", well except for the 3000 mile error, and the fact someone other than me signed for it???? :eek:
    DUH!!!
    UPS bought me a replacement.......:D

Here we go again!!!

5. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Sorry to hear that! I've never had either UPS or Fed Ex fail to deliver a package on the date originally estimated. Thirty years ago, the USPS was as good, but these days I get a neighbor's mail in my box at least once a month, and vice versa. And a few months ago, the USPS delivered a package a day late, and because it was a guaranteed delivery date, they refunded the shipping cost. They blamed the heavy mail load of a long holiday weekend. Now airlines... don't get me started on the misdirection of luggage!!!

6. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    You want a bad story about misdirection of luggage... My sister was flying from Columbus Ohio to Providence RI. Her bag ended up in Mexico City, Mexico. And this was just a couple of years ago, well after they "tightened" security on planes!

7. zenMachine

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  8. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Is that for real?

9. zenMachine

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Prety sure.

10. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well WOW UPS figured it out, of course the phone was delivered at 7:20pm last night.
    As far as the phone goes, ....WOW! Beats the crap out of the first gen Droid I was using. Car is all synced up, Headset is all synced up. Got my contacts transferred, just getting into the apps market, way better selection, but many have higher prices than the Android market charges.

Stupidly, I would have to delete my Ipod and Itunes from computer if I want to sync the 4s to it., Itunes will NOT support 2 devices on the same program....come on Apple get with it. Copyright this, I bought the copy, I should be able to place that copy on any personal device I own. :mad:

I will just go to the Solar Control Computer for the house and install Itunes there, I network a large storage device and none of my multiple copies of Itunes has any trouble syncing up.;)

Siri, is, well, interesting. It will take some playing with, but it has a great voice recognition system going for it! With the Bluetooth headset, you might look like your talking to yourself, but you won't have to take the phone out of its holster! :)

So Far, I Like It!!! :D

11. zenMachine

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Did you upgrade iTunes first?

12. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    It should. Our iTunes program supports two iPads and two IPhones (one 4 and a 4s).

13. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I still haven't upgraded iOS (will probably do so tomorrow evening so it can sync my podcasts, too).

Anyway, you have it backwards - iTunes can sync to any number of devices you care to throw at it. However, each iDevice can only be synced to one iTunes (iTune?) at a time.

14. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, that's why my music now resides on a hard drive on the network, and all my computers now set that network location for tune storage. Now that works nice. It's under the Home Share option. Also you have to have Itunes v10.5 or better to work with the 4S! I found the Itunes log in page in the 4S, it should make syncing much easier...Duh!!!

15. zenMachine

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Does the 4S have stereo microphones to go with its 1080p video cam?

(highly doubt it, but thought I'd ask)

16. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    My setup is the same idea, but I am looking forward to trying out the tunes in the cloud option.

17. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Grr. I just upgraded just so I could play with Siri, only to find out Siri isn't available to the iPhone 4. Gotta do better research next time.

18. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Apple forces its users to upgrade hardware to play with their new software. Since both hardware and software are designed by Apple, you're pretty screwed because they can limit what software can run on what hardware. I read that there are people working hard to port Siri to older iphones. The problem is Apple server will reject Siri that's ported to older iphones. I know I sound like a violin but this is one of the reason why I boycott the iPhone.
    A family member is super pissed at Apple and iphone because she has major problems upgrading her 3GS to iOS5. As of now, the phone is bricked. She's taking it to 3 to see if they can fix the problem. Her phone is all stock and has never been jailbroken since she bought it.
    She's contemplating on getting the 4S or the Galaxy Prime when her contract ends in Dec 11. She did made an excellent argument for getting the 4S. There are so many different Android phones out there and when hardware breaks, it's hard for cellphone repair shops to keep Android parts for fast turnaround. iPhone on the other hand are everywhere. There are only 5 different iphones since its release. Cellphone repair shops can stock iphone parts for pretty much all of them so repairs are cheap and fast. She had her charging port replaced for $35 and only took 10 minutes.

19. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  20. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Agreed that Apple has and does limit what features are supported and enabled and older hardware. There are many instances of this besides Siri.

Has she tried putting the phone into recovery or DFU mode? iPhone DFU mode explained, and how to enter DFU mode on your iPhone

I think recovery mode is iPhone and iPod touch: Unable to update or restore.

I don't know all the details as I've only put my phone into DFU mode recently (to try unsuccessfully to backup my shsh blobs). I don't jailbreak as I don't care.