1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

iPhone 5 audio outputs to phone and display doesn't update

Discussion in 'Prius c Audio and Electronics' started by GadgetVirtuoso, Oct 26, 2012.

1. GadgetVirtuoso

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    On several occasion when my iPhone 5 is connected via USB the audio will play from the phone not the stereo. I've tried disconnecting the phone and reconnecting it but it doesn't have any effect. The only solution thus far is to switch to Bluetooth for a minute then back to iPod. Another oddity is that the audio using Downcast (Podcast App) the display doesn't update when a new podcast starts playing. The display only displays the info of the podcast that was playing when the phone was first connected. On other stereos and devices the display has always updated accordingly, even with the iPhone 5.

2. Ryephile

Ryephile The Technophile

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    First off, welcome to PC :)

You have to remember you're driving a $14k car [Yaris] with a $5k powertrain [Hybrid Synergy Drive]. That doesn't leave much for infotainment refinement.

IMO, leaving the iPhone to play via Bluetooth is the best solution. No wires to get in the way, and it always works smoothly. Yes, you give up folder navigation via the head-unit, but you save a whole bunch in headaches and confusion.

3. GadgetVirtuoso

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks, has mine for a week today! Bluetooth would be fine if it would at least display info about what is playing and had at least basic iPod controls. Since I have to charge the phone while using Nav anyway I might as well use the USB. I'm a bit annoyed to have the HD and Nav system and to always confirm to use the phone for the Internet and such. I'm not sure if it is an issue with the iPhone 5 or this is just how poorly the system works.

4. ChicagoPC2

ChicagoPC2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I've also had my PC for a week! I have the Iphone 5 as well, and do find that it works best when using Bluetooth. Although I have a two, and you have a three, so it could have something to do with the Entune display versus the stock display, but my display shows song and artist info, and I can flip between songs using the steering wheel controls. I don't know if you have played around with it much, but Siri works quite well for me using the Bluetooth system and will pull up whatever I ask her to.

5. crebble

crebble Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have had that happen rarely on my iPhone 4 and 5. Rebooting the phone is the only way I've found to fix it.

6. GadgetVirtuoso

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The fix for this was to update Entune in the car. My car was on 1.7.4 and after updating to 2.1.0 everything is working as it should. Thanks guys.

7. Allison C

Allison C New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    i'm thinking about getting an iphone 5 i the next month or so. does the steering wheel controls work fine with the iphone and does the prius c voice commands work to play a particular song on the iphone? can you navigate the playlists on the entune display? and just to clarify, do you have to have it on bluetooth to work correctly? it would be nice to have it on ipod so i can charge it, are there specific issues when it is on ipod?

8. GadgetVirtuoso

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You can navigate the entire playlist but I find it frustratingly slow. I tend to skip the entune ui and just use the phone. You can charge the phone via USB but if you use it for navigation you'll want to use BT and charge with a charger that can charge an iPad (2.1 amp). The USB port can't charge the phone while using data and GPS.

Bluetooth works very well a long as entune is updated to 2.x. My car came with a low 1.x version and had BT issues until I updated it. I updated it from an update someone posted in the forums but the deal should be able to do it for you.

9. justalilbatty

justalilbatty Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I've been having issues with Entune ever since I bought my iPhone 5. My Bluetooth isn't staying paired. I have to go to Bluetooth settings every time I get in the car and go to the paired device menu and connect for music and phone. Today I had issues with just connecting with USB. I would go to ipod and it would freeze and it would act like it was loading and nothing happened it would sit on the menu listing sources to pick. Haven't updated in a while. After I used the USB it did an additional update via Internet, but that was months ago. Anyone else having issues?