1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

iPhone 5 Coming Out: What are Your Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by TonyPSchaefer, Oct 2, 2011.

?
  1. I'll be standing in line at Midnight

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. I'll buy within a week because I don't stand in line

6 vote(s)
    13.0%
  3. I'll buy within a couple weeks to avoid the early-adaptor geeks

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
  4. I'll buy within month

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
  5. I'll buy within a few months

3 vote(s)
    6.5%
  6. I'll buy one if my current phone dies eventually

13 vote(s)
    28.3%
  7. The only apple I like is pie.

20 vote(s)
    43.5%
  1. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Agree. Somebody should fix the title of this thread.

1 person likes this.
  2. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I can see it now. All the comedy writers and comedians are busy writing jokes and parodies about the Siris.

3. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  4. sipnfuel

sipnfuel New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    RIP Steve Jobs

5. cproaudio

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    3GS looks like 3G, 4GS looks 4G. If this trend continues, we can expect a completely new design for the iPhone 5. Sorry iPhone enthusiasts and fanboys alike, you'll gotta wait til next year.
    Samsung will be announcing the Nexus Prime next Tuesday. It'll be the most advance Android phone yet. It will have the next generation smartphone specs with dual core 1.5hz Texas Instrument Cortex A9 processor, near field communication, real 4G long term evolution, none of that fake 4G T-Mobile and AT&T's evolved high speed packet access crap, 4.6" 1280X720P HD Super AMOLED display that rivals the retina display, 8MP camera with 1080P video, Android ICS. Other high end Android with similar specs will soon follow from HTC. This is what I mean by constant hardware update.
    Once again iPhone 5 will probably be playing ketchup with the rest of the smartphone world next year. We probably won't see 4G LTE iPhone 5S until 2014.
    Just read an article stating that Apple's stock dropped $26 in 1 day on the day of the iPhone 4S announcement. Apple stock takes hit after iPhone 4S announcement - News - Know Your Mobile That tells you that Apple made yet another huge mistake on the iPhone for refreshing last years phone while everyone else is implementing all the latest technologies into their phones. Hell, even Mango's starting to look good and nobody cares about WP7.5.

6. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  7. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yeah, but will it make toast?

8. sipnfuel

sipnfuel New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It won't be surprising if Apple starts to see a small downturn in the next few months.

Some may attribute this to the loss of Steve as a guiding force. But probably there is something else at work.

Inevitably, Apple always tries to keep the hardware and software in the same house. This does make for a great product. However, it has been shown in the past with Mac vs PC that shutting out other hardware manufacturers is not feasible in the long run. Competitive forces will be at work.

This is why Windows in the past eventually dominated, and Android currently is gaining market share. They allow other players to participate. These other hardware manufacturers have the capability and capacity and motivation to put products out there. Allowing them to have a shared platform while differentiating their products enough to make unique products.

Where the patent office says Apple owns the technology or invention, I will not disagree. But anything else is fair game. It shows that with so much money that the consumer is willing to spend, other companies have ample reason to compete.

Sometimes it's hard to top yourself. Apple has to innovate in order to keep market share. Unfortunately being at the head of the pack, any lull will allow those on your tail to catch up.

We see that the iPhone 4S is not a revolutionary upgrade over the iPhone 4.

But we'll see that Apple will continue to sell products. If nothing else, it will be easy to make an iPhone 5 with a faster processor, larger screen, new OS, and different case. That alone will cause many people to upgrade because let's face it, having the latest iPhone is also a fashion statement. That's an intangible that works in Apple's favor.

9. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Plug in the charger and turn on all the radios, then rest on a slice of bread. It may work. :p

It's a not a head of the pack and the need to innovate. It is the need to make things shinier and more appealing to persuade consumers to drop their working phone for a newer working phone. As already proven the iphone has nothing of technological value and never has. And as you have pointed out, it is a "fashion statement". Which is exactly the point. They can market the iTurd and it will sell in millions. Apple has the best marketing team in the world, I mean it. They are geniuses, and deserve their high salaries. It is those marketers that make the product appealing to people who didn't realize they needed a smartphone for everyday tasks ;)

I was shocked yesterday to read about Steve Job's passing. He was a great marketer as well and a truly great engineer. I saw some documentaries on him a while back before he made his return and its no wonder nobody liked him then. But he got the job done and did it well for the market they wanted. He made a name for himself and rescued Apple from death. Still today you can't browse an "MP3 Player" section, it is an "iPod and MP3 Player" section...

10. cproaudio

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
  11. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  12. amm0bob

amm0bob Permanently Junior...

The last place on earth to get cable, Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

Technolog - Awkward: Apple's Siri translates as 'buttocks' in Japan

13. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Even less exciting than "phone sex."

On an older topic: separating the music from the phone: I was listening to a podcast of one of my favorite radio shows (Fresh Air) while making lunch today, and thinking how nice it is that the iPod is a fraction of the weight and thickness of an iPhone. True, it means two separate devices when I am traveling, and there are a few apps that don't run on the iPod, but I'm at home more than away, and I like the very light weight and small size of the iPod.

14. cproaudio

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    One of many many useless iphone crapware. No thanks, I'll stick to a useful function.

15. SPEEDEAMON

SPEEDEAMON Professional Car Nut

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Right on Pinto Girl! I couldn't agree with you more. Come on down and I'll even let you drive it. The one that's red of course.

Attached Files:

16. elvis.donnelly

elvis.donnelly New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That is damn funny that Apple could do such mistake. Japanese wouldn’t leave a single shot to make fun of the newest iPhone now, lol.

17. cproaudio

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Jay Leno already started cracking jokes about Siri.

18. gramps

gramps Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    no thoughts

19. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    What you saw in the past with Mac vs PC wasn't a problem with Apple's closed ecosystem... it was a problem with Apple's management. Over the past decade, there's been a huge resurgence of Mac's, due primarily to the return of Jobs and the management changes he made at Apple. Instead of just following the crowd, he started to get Apple back in the position of a leader in the market.

Back in the 80's, Mac's were extremely popular. That's because they offered something PC's didn't - an innovative, awesome user interface. Apple had a 10 year head start on Microsoft in that area... And once they kicked Jobs out, they squandered it. Their management in the 90's in what led to them almost going under. Jobs returned and set them back on the correct path - get OS X out there and start leading in that area again (Windows 7 and 8 are really just Microsoft trying to copy what Apple did with OS X - rewrite the base of the OS, introduce all those stunning features Apple developed, etc). With the iMac, they showed that computers can be aesthetically pleasing - they don't have to be a featureless grey box. They've carried that on to their entire product line.

The iPod certainly wasn't the first mp3 player out there... but by putting the entire ecosystem together with iTunes and the iTunes store and making the device amazingly easy to use, they beat all of their competition into the ground. Sure, other competitors have come up new "iPod killers" all that time... remember the Zune? Microsoft tried to get that going for 5 years before finally taking it out back and disposing of it. the iPod's been going twice as long and is still the market leader.

Despite its flaws (both initial and ongoing), the iPhone was and continues to be a market leader. Extreme hardware simplicity (seriously... 5 years ago could you have even imagined a phone with only 1 button?) coupled with an OS that made every other phone out there look like Windows 3.1 did when compared to the Mac. Add on to that the ecosystem Apple had developed for the iPod and a new App store - there simply was no competition. You can quote spec's all you want, we all know there are phones out there with better spec's. But there aren't any that I've seen (and I've played with way more than my fair share) that can even approach it's user experience.

Apple is all about a philosophy - give the user an overall experience that is second to none. All the other competitors go a different route - OS's try to deliver the same feature set as their competition to avoid falling behind. Hardware manufacturers try to deliver better specs than their competitors to avoid falling behind. But none of them looks at the experience you get end to end. Apple may not lead in a particular narrow category... but they do lead in the user experience, and unless they go back to their mindset they had in the 90's, they will continue to lead.

20. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Quite true, and why people who assume a features list says it all cannot understand why anyone would buy an Apple product.