1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

iPhone 5 may be rebooting NAV on 2013 PiP

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by reilogix, Oct 11, 2013.

1. reilogix

reilogix Get honor, and stay honor.

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have a 2013 plug-in Prius with 14k miles. I am experiencing intermittent issues with NAV/Bluetooth system rebooting. I even took a video to show the Toyota service rep. I have an iPhone 5 running iOS 6.1.2 and I am jailbroken.

I'll be driving along, maybe on the phone, maybe not. Intermittently and with no warning--poof--Bluetooth disconnects and the nav system reboots.

Apparently Toyota is aware of an issue which may be due to a Bluetooth/power problem such as the iPhone BT is causing Toyota BT to overheat, or something to that effect.

For the next week, I will turn iPhone BT off, and not use USB cable from car to iPhone 5. This is the next troubleshooting step and I will report back after.

2. chesleyn

chesleyn Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'm using iOS6.1 jailbroken and I don't have that issue. In fact, I've never even heard of something like this. My PiP is a 2012, so I've been driving for 16k+ miles and never seen this.

My Nav needs to be updated, because I have that issue with the error that says not able to navigate from your location.. happens randomly. But other than that.. no other probs.

3. Ken Blake

Ken Blake Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I have an iPhone 5, and was running iOS 6 (not jailbroken) and now am running iOS 7 (also not jailbroken) in mt 2012 PiP Advanced and have never experienced the issue you are describing. Lexus has a TSIB for some 2014 IS250 and 350 that are experiencing the exact symptoms you describe. The fix is a firmware update to the NAV.

4. reilogix

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If it affected many people, it would be a Service Bulletin or a recall, which it is not. nonetheless, Crown Toyota in Ontario, California has confirmed that Toyota is aware of this issue. Not with everyone, but with some people. More so on the Advanced model (which I do not have.) I will post a YouTube later today or tomorrow, showing this issue as it happens.

5. SAronian

SAronian Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    No problems with 2012 Advanced & iPhone 5. Was on 6.5.2 (jailbroken/StraighTalk), now on 7.0.2 (not-jailbroken/T-Mobile).

6. reilogix

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    UPDATE: I've driven a couple of hundred miles since my original post, and I have not had the iPhone 5 connected. (Neither Bluetooth, nor USB, at all.) I have, however, had my iPad 3 connected via Bluetooth and USB at times. The NAV reboot issue happened once, just yesterday, when I opened the map. The iPad 3 uses Bluetooth version 4.0 just like the iPhone 5. Now, my next test will be to not use the iPad nor the iPhone.

7. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like a good time to leave the dark side and join the Android revolution!

Alright, just kidding i lovers :)

8. jdk2

jdk2 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    That's not always the answer either. My AT&T LG E-980 crashes/reboots frequently when trying to open the charging map or just getting updates to Entune. It's very sporadic and not completely reproducible, but what a PITA.

Toyota says the phone is completely compatible but at times, you could've fooled me. I've tried deleting the phone from the system and re-pairing but it's got a mind of its own. One day it works, the next it won't.

9. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Honestly, I don't think either OS is perfect when used with the Prius.
    If past issues are any indication- the problem is with Entune and the Toyota OS not the mobile devices.

jdk2 likes this.
  10. jdk2

jdk2 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Couldn't agree more!

11. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I have not had any Entune or Bluetooth problems with my Blackberry. I understand that many consider Blackberry to be on it's death bed and not a viable platform, but the communications functionality in it works great.

(Although the lack of applications is making me look real seriously at the Moto X Android.)

12. reilogix

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Still having the problem. Took my car back to the dealer on appointment so that a guy from Toyota Corporate could come in and run some advanced tests. They are blaming my phone. They say it is a known issue with certain iPhone 5 phones. They said my only recourse is to call Toyota Tech Support at (800) 331-4331. I will report back my findings.

13. reilogix

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Turns out that the (800) number is worthless. I talked to the service manager. The issue is well-known by Toyota staff. Apparently iPhone 4S and iPhone 4 on iOS5 are not affected. iOS 6, and iOS 7, and iPhone 5/5S also have intermittent issues. They consider this to be "operation as designed."

14. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That's the Apple philosophy. How the i-device behaves is by definition the standard, and other vendors just need to deal with it.

A few years ago, the European Union passed a regulation stating that all mobile (cell) phones must use the same charging connector (micro-USB). Apple told them what they could do with their regulation.

15. reilogix

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    UPDATE: still dealing with the frustration of my navigation and Bluetooth rebooting multiple times per day, I finally switched back over to my girlfriends old iPhone 4S running iOS 6.0.1 and the problem has not come back since. I will update this post as the situation changes, however, it appears that either I have a defective Toyota NAV/BT unit or that indeed the iPhone 5 (or iOS 7) is causing the problem. :(

16. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    After a Kindle, several Palm handhelds, Sony Clie, Sansa Clips, 2 Blackberries, (and yes even a Microsoft Zune) and every manner of USB connector for those, I have to admit the new Apple USB connector is the one that should have been produced. Imagine inserting a connector either way and be correct, who would have thunk it.

17. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Have you tried borrowing another Prius with the 6.1" Display Audio for a day or two and see if it occurs on another vehicle? This could help narrow it down further to whether it's a defective unit on your vehicle or the DA 6.1" unit in general.

18. reilogix

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Greetings, Tideland--
    I have not tested on another Prius, although that is a good idea. But, since Toyota has already acknowledged the issue, I think I may be out of luck. On top of that, I have already spent way too many hours on this project (due to switching phones, taking the car in multiple times, and testing with a host of iOS devices.) I know I will get to the bottom of it one day, but I'm not sure when. It seems that the iPhone 4S which I am using currently, does not cause the issue. Maybe that is my solution :(

19. reilogix

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    UPDATE: I've been using the iPhone 4S non-jailbroken on iOS 6.0.1 now for a few weeks, and I have 3 similar rebooting/freezing issues. I may have to stop using Bluetooth altogether, on my less-than-one-year-old car. Tired of the problems and unreliability.

Next step: take a video of it happening again, and take it back to the dealer again, and leave my iPhone with them. Again.

You'd think that a company with as many engineers (and dollars!) would be able to get this right. Or, license it from a company who has. :/

20. DianneWhitmire

DianneWhitmire High PRIUStess

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I don't think it's your cell phone. Both my son's 2013 Persona Series AND my own 2012 PLugIN spontaneously restart every so often.For no reason I can figure.
    I have unpaired the phone from the car and used my in-ear headset and it's still done it. My son's on a Samsung Galaxy Note I think and I asked him to unpair his, still does it.
    It's Entune. Have they done the most recent update? Curious.